PDA

View Full Version : How do I become pilot in the USA?

Speedy Gonsalez
28th Oct 2008, 08:23
First of all I will tell you my expectations: After receiving my Abitur (thatīs equal with college) I plan to make a Barchelor in Germany. During this time I will apply for a Green Card through the Green Card Lottery. When having luck (and being 20) I want to do my flight training in the USA. Please give me recommendations what schools are suitable. I want them to have a good reputation but also offering their program at sensible price. Concerning the location in the US Iīm quite flexible. Later I will apply for a job at a Delta Connection airline and in another 3 years I plan to go to Delta when having enough flight hours and experience. Please notice the minimum requirements for Delta pilots and that I have to meet them (of course later after having worked as a regional pilot).

Please give me comprehensive describtions of the flight training, the licences you get and for sure also the price. Thanks.

Wizofoz
28th Oct 2008, 10:12
Speedy,

I noticed your name here from your posts on the ME forum. I'll get in before the chorus here crucifies you, but you need to do a lot more research on the aviation industry, particularly in North America.

Making grandiose plans about which particular airline you are going to work for and when, before you have even started flight training, shows a naivety that needs some explanation. I am not having a go at you. I am trying to save you a world of disappointment.

At the moment EVERY major US carrier is furloughing pilots. That means guys loosing their jobs, but retaining the right to go back when (IF!!) things pick up. Some of those guys only recently got back after several years of being on furlough, before AGAIN finding themselves on the street.

Once the majors do start taking new pilots again (and it will be years) there will be thousands of highly experienced pilots who having been flying regional, corporate and GA lining up for the jobs. A quick three years in a regional and then into Delta isn't likely to happen any time in the next couple of decades.

At EK we are overwhelmed with application from high hour US pilots both from the majors (because they have been laid off, gone broke or saw no future there) as well as many regional Captains and Training Captains who who have come to be F/Os because they can't see themselves EVER getting into a major.

You've chosen a tough game, and if you go to the U/S, a very tough field to play on!!

As a European citizen you would be much better off looking at doing an integrated JAR ATP course, preferably tied up with an airline. Have a look at easyJet, Sterling and Flybe as examples.

If the costs there are too high, you are stuck with the well pr oven route of self-sponsor, and work as an instructor or air taxi pilot to get the necessary experience.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but it's better to hear the truth from me than a bunch of sales talk from a school trying to part you from your money.

Best of luck.

BelArgUSA
28th Oct 2008, 11:25
Speedy -
xxx
Why not read the "Wannabe Forum" - Plenty is mentioned about work in USA.
And about USA visas.
:*
Happy contrails

bob.sakamano
28th Oct 2008, 21:02
Speedy,

Sorry to tell you this, but Wizofoz speaks the truth ... and he somewhat sugarcoated it.

US flight schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear in order to transfer your wealth to them. Buyer beware. Be very aware.

Like I said in the other thread, you chances of becoming a pilot with Delta within 3 years are not only zero, but much less than zero.

Once the "synergistic" merger is complete, the outlook for pilots in the US will become even worse than it stands today.

Be patient, flight instruct or build time with other commercial jobs until things improve. Your US plans will not pan out any time soon.

Best of luck and I wish there was something more positive to say. It's going to be years before there is anything positive happening in the US.