PDA

View Full Version : Op "Early Resolve"

Goffee
28th Oct 2008, 08:06
Operation Early Resolve flights over Dorset will be on November 6 and 7, 9am-11pm.

Could anyone in the know point out where we might see the promised birds? As Dorset is rather large.

"Aircraft taking part include the Tornado, Hawk, Harrier and Typhoon, as well as the French Naval Rafalea and Super Etendarde, and the American F-15 Strike Eagle" - according to our local rag - Jet fighters take to Dorset?s skies (From Bournemouth Echo) (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/3796319.Jet_fighters_take_to_Dorset___s_skies/)

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2008, 09:11
I hope it's Ex Early Resolve, not Op Early Resolve ;)

Goffee
28th Oct 2008, 09:39
Dorset has just unveiled its own flag - maybe Whitehall is making us think twice about going any further, like the Cornish

Razor61
28th Oct 2008, 10:09
Bulbarrow Hill and Hardy Monument might be your best bet ;)

1.4G
28th Oct 2008, 12:58
Okay I will let you in where to look.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7Ge698iUlPkL_M:http://www.dreamstime.com/number-1---finger-pointing-up-%28with-clipping-path%29-thumb872005.jpg Okay? Now don't tell everybody that I let on.:ok:

coley chaos
29th Oct 2008, 09:56
Does anyone know the run in to target bearings that you chaps will fly, and at what times, as i live close to Hardeys Monument in Dorsetland. I only ask as my significant other is 8 months preggers and i will get her to don ear defenders if i know you lot will be thrusting our way low level as i dont want her to pop just yet.

I of course will be on our balcony waving/cheering/taking photos/ or if your French... mooning!!! and we can have a sign made up with an BIG ARROW pointing to your target on the hill to make life easier.

The Cerne Abbas Giant with his huge erection is just over yonder valley which i know has been a source of amusement for the F15 drivers as their only jealous!!

God save the King.

Warmtoast
29th Oct 2008, 11:12
Last year's excercise “Early Resolve” from the MOD web site.

The Ministry of Defence has announced that a medium-scale air exercise will take place over parts of Dorset and the central and southern parts of Wales over the period 17 to 25 May 07. The Exercise, Code-named “Early Resolve”, is designed to practice close air support operations and forward air control techniques. This training is essential for the UK Aircrews and Ground Forces and allows them to practice various techniques and procedures before possible deployment to operational theatres.
Exercise aircraft will operate in an area to the north of Poole on 17 and 18 May before moving to operate over Wales between 21 and 25 May.
Flying will take place daily between 10am and 8pm. There will be no weekend activity.
A variety of aircraft types will be involved in Exercise Fast Mover and observers may see Tornado, Hawk, Harrier, F15, F16 and A10 aircraft; some munitions may be used at the Castlemartin Range areas. The Exercise will be monitored and supported by E-3 AWACS and Nimrod aircraft operating at high level.
Throughout Exercise Early Resolve some flying will be required at low level but any time spent operating at low level during this exercise will be the minimum necessary to achieve the task with every effort being made to minimise disturbance; additionally, where low flying operations have been arranged as part of the exercise, this precludes the use of the same area by aircraft carrying out routine low-level training flying.
Further details about this exercise can be obtained by visiting the MoD's Low Flying Information (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/Issues/ContributingToTheCommunity/LowFlying/LowFlyingExercisesAndEvents.htm)

Perhaps they'll fly the same pattern this year.

Razor61
29th Oct 2008, 14:58
If you live near Hardys Monument then you would have heard them in the last 'few' Early resolves as they have operated around Hardys and Bulbarrow for the last year or two for several days. So you should know the profile by now.

coley chaos
30th Oct 2008, 11:22
Thanks Razor for the info... ive only just moved to a the new valley 6 weeks ago, so am "in the dark" as to which way to look etc.

My other half knows the score where we live now, as she was on the balcony talking to me (when we first moved) with her back to an incoming low and very noisy Typhoon which i saw over her shoulder, but dicided to let her experiance the "WOW" factor of sound waves!!. Low and relatively slow Hercs and Yeovilton traffic follow the our valley day and night but not many fast jets.

We live 5 miles north west of Dorchester and 5 miles north east of the Monument.

Cheers.

Coley

expedite08
30th Oct 2008, 13:44
Sounds interesting, any good points to get to, to observe??

Razor61
30th Oct 2008, 14:45
For this Ex and Ex Fast Mover, your best bet is to go to the Marches or South Wales...
Dorset only sees normally two days of action, one day at each location. Whereas Marches and South Wales usually have around a week or two of it.

Pembroke, Rhyader, Fishguard, Carmarthan, Aberystwyth in Wales and around Hereford, Hay on Wye, Stoney Cross and Ledbury (and Clee Hills) are the usual areas for this Ex.

All dependent on the weather of course

expedite08
30th Oct 2008, 15:08
Probably only get to see the Dorset stuff, so Bulbarrow hill??

Razor61
30th Oct 2008, 15:25
Either location in Dorset is worth a try...
Bulbarrow Hill normally is the first location followed by the monument.

expedite08
30th Oct 2008, 19:29
Hi there Razor,

Thanks for the posts, are you planning to take a look at all over the two days? Im just trying to get an idea to see if your likely to see much at all and decide whether to take a day off work for it! As you can probably tell im a first timer to all this! Didnt even know we had an LFA down here in Dorset!! I know about the danger areas as I fly locally

Razor61
30th Oct 2008, 19:51
I won't be visiting...
But with todays FAC with the Sniper and Litening Pods a lot of it takes place at medium level... they only come down low level if the JTAC needs them too or if clouds prevent them doing their work higher up.
They usually do a few show of forces over the area but thats it...
As with all the exercises now, they spend minimal time at low level to prevent any noise complaints of jets circling for an hour over the same area.
The horsey types don't take kindly to Typhoons or F-15s orbiting over their land.
Obviously it is needed to come down lower at certain times but they rarely spend more than 5-10 mins at lower levels if the sky above is nice and clear.

If i lived in the area then i would definately go for a stroll up there.... worth a look even if its just to walk the dog!

glad rag
30th Oct 2008, 20:55
Hmm, I do this at 0530 just to get into work at the factory......:sad: