PDA

View Full Version : Dark clouds over Lithuanian air and rumours about Estonian Air...

RIX BT
27th Oct 2008, 16:24
Estonian Air pilot paid cash for fuel...

A flight of Estonian Air was delayed on this month when the pilot had to pay cash for fuel.
Postimees writes that an Estonian Air flight that was leaving Munich for Tallinn on Saturday was 1.5 hours late with departure. The reason was strange: the aircraft was out of fuel and the re-fueller did not accept the credit card of Estonian Air so that the plane’s captain was forced to go to Munich to withdraw cash.
“We waited in the plane for twenty minutes until the co-pilot came and told us that the plane had not been re-fuelled since the airline’s credit card was not accepted,” commented Toivo Maimets, professor of Tartu University who was on board of the flight.
“The co-pilot said that the refueller was accepting only cash and that the plane’s captain had gone to look for it.” Passengers were sent to the waiting area to wait for the Tallinn departure.
“This is unbelievable. Perhaps they will tell me the next time also that my credit card is not trusted?” wondere Maimets. The fuel line was still attached and the trip started 1.5 hours later. What happened? Was the mistrust caused by the bank or by Estonian Air?
“These are complex times in aviation and many companies have made their credit policy tougher,” said Ilona Eskelinen, head of public relations of Estonian Air. “What happened on Saturday was a misunderstanding in executing an agreed payment procedure.”
Therefore the pilot had no option, but to withdraw cash with the same rejected credit card. According to Eskelinen, this was the first time that a company abroad does not accept a credit card issued by an international recognized bank.
The Munich flight required around 4-5 tons of fuel that costs around one euro per litre. Eskelinen added that use of credit cards for paying for a large quantity of fuel is not at all unusual.
“Payment is also made by bills, but pilots carry credit cards if there is need to pay for fuel on site,” she said. Estonian Air purchases fuel from the same company in Germany and Italy. In the same day the airline paid for fuel in the Milan Airport by using the same credit card without any problems.
Estonian Air added in comment the following: “The incident on Saturday was a misunderstanding with regard to the execution of agreed payment procedures that was complicated because of communication problems between parties in different countries (fuel company and re-fuelling company) that was difficult to be solved over the weekend.
Estonian Air buys fuel from the same company both in German and Italy. On the same day we paid in the Milan airport for fuel with the same credit card and without any problems. Payment for fuel is done differently, both by invoices or credit card in order to remain flexible. The credit card that the Munich refueling company rejected was in order since it was used to take out cash that was then used for paying for fuel.
This is the first time in our practice when a credit card that has been issued by an internationally recognized bank is not approved abroad, and we are investigating the incident.”

Lithuanian airline FlyLAL pulls out of Estonia

Lithuanian national carrier FlyLAL that aggressively entered the Estonia market at the beginning of the year has decided to pull out of Estonia.
Eesti Päevaleht writes that the airline will terminate its Tallinn-Vilnius line for the winter season and will exchange or buy back tickets that it has already sold for the line.
One Estonian who purchased a ticket to Tallinn-Vilnius-Rome route for 1,500 kroons said that he had received an e-mail from the airline saying that the Tallinn-Vilnius line is cancelled and offered to buy back the ticket or order a replacement flight.
The airline told Eesti Päevaleht that since many Estonians were using Vilnius as a transit hub for flying elsewhere to Europe. “In the winter the demand for such flights has fallen and we were forced to cancel these flights,” said the airline.
According to FlyLAL, the last Tallinn-Vilnius flight in this season will take place on October 24.

Riga Airport detains flyLAL airplane

Security guards at Riga International Airport at sunday morning detained a "flyLAL" passenger plane scheduled to depart for Vilnius. The reason given by officials - unpaid debt.

Martins Langrats, the airport's press secretary, told LETA that bills for money due for airborne service fees were presented to the airplane's captain overnight, and the plane will be held until payment.

Langrats added that the debt remains from mid-summer, and "flyLAL" has shown an unwillingness to meet its obligations.

The "flyLAL" flight arrived in Riga shortly before midnight, and was scheduled to return to Vilnius at 6.35 a.m. Sunday.

This was an extreme measure, Langrats admitted, adding that the amount of money due cannot be disclosed because the airport's contract with "flyLAL" is confidential. However, the amount is "significant".

Asdrius
28th Oct 2008, 07:09
It's funny to read such post from Latvian. What was your goal with this thread?
You mentioned about problems of airlines in neighbouring countries but conveniently didn't mention a word about Latvian national airline - Air Baltic. For me it seems the darkest clouds are actually hanging above Air Baltic.

I dont' like to talk about airline problems in pprune, but you started this thread.

Air Baltic and Riga airport are facing 200 mln LTL (58 mln EUR) lawsuit from FlyLal, for unfair competition practises. More about it in this press release: flyLAL ? Cheap direct flights to Vilnius and other European cities. Book tickets on internet! - Press room - Apatinis meniu (http://www.flylal.com/en/bottom/news?id=1569450)

SAS want's to pull out of Air Baltic.
SAS to drop airBaltic (http://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/21148/)

Air Baltic is operating at a loss in 2008 first half:
balticbusinessnews.com - airBaltic loss totaled LVL 7.9 mln in H1 (http://www.balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=0ee79d7e-8f72-4375-b96b-3489327ab98b)

And regarding detained FlyLal airplane in Riga airport, for me it looks like a revenge from Latvians for FlyLal's lawsuit.

Mshamba
28th Oct 2008, 08:52
BTW, could someone tell me please over which airline no dark clouds are hanging nowadays? :confused:

RIX BT
28th Oct 2008, 18:19
Quote: It's funny to read such post from Latvian.

O'K, I am currently living in this country, but I'm not native.:)

To Asdrius:

Funny to see your posted links, directly to FlyLAL homepage(It's about press release). All people can read explanation about this situation from AirBaltic on Airbaltic homepage-link to this:

airBaltic - Press room - airBaltic - Comment From airBaltic President and CEO Bertolt Flick (http://www.airbaltic.com/public/37852.html)

Your word-lawsuit, sounds very funny, it's really seems to be story with coruption in one country court, and absolut ignore of international (EU) Law and regulas...
And interview with minister A. Slesers:
balticbusinessnews.com - Latvian minister: Lithuanian flyLAL and Estonian Air facing bankrupcy (http://www.balticbusinessnews.com/Default2.aspx?ArticleID=9f76986f-1360-4aee-a1c6-78ffdc9e3527&ref=lastadd)

Don't be afraid, nothing personal.:)
Signs about financial problems inside FlyLAL, I heard from my old friend, who is pilot in FlyLAL... He is native Lithuanian... I will be very happy, if everything is O'K!:ok:

FA10
28th Oct 2008, 18:41
How did they manage withdrawing ~6.500 Euros from a cash machine?Could prove being difficult - even with one of the "best" credit cards!

Asdrius
29th Oct 2008, 07:31
Sorry RIX BT, I didn't knew your are not Latvian. Maybe my response was a bit harsh. But I had to respond, because with rumours about Estonian Air and FlyLal and not a word about Air Baltic, this thread looked out of balance to me.
In current economic climate, I think it's safe to say that situation is not good in all three major Baltic airlines. I believe they all will survive this hard winter and will continue to fly at better times in the future. But posting about dark rumours in pprune, I don't think it will help those airlines in any way.

Regarding that lawsuit I wouldn't believe too much what Mr.Flick or Mr.Slessers are saying. They have their own agenda to defend Air Baltic by any means possible.
After reading your second link, I want to add, that it's highly inappropriate for Latvian transport minister to spread negative rumours about competitor airlines, when trying to defend his own national airline.