PDA

View Full Version : Delta Academy Connection

Speedy Gonsalez
27th Oct 2008, 13:02
I have a few questions concerning the Delta Connection Academy:

1. How much does their Traditional Program and their Airline Transport Pilot International cost?
2. What are the differences between them?
3. How long does the Airline Transport Pilot International last?
4. After these programs do you go to a regional airline or is there a chance to directly apply as a Delta pilot?
5. In case you go first to a Delta Connection company, who long would it take to be able to go to Delta and do you have all licenes to become Delta pilot?
6. And finally tell me which program includes the four year Barchelor and what does it cost/would it take?

bob.sakamano
27th Oct 2008, 13:37
I have a few questions concerning the Delta Connection Academy:

1. How much does their Traditional Program and their Airline Transport Pilot International cost?

Too much. Without question, you can find more for less.

2. What are the differences between them?
3. How long does the Airline Transport Pilot International last?
4. After these programs do you go to a regional airline or is there a chance to directly apply as a Delta pilot?
You don't "go" to a regional airline. They might be able to get you an interview. That is dependent on the economy and if any airlines are hiring. In the next 12-24 months, that does not appear to be likely.

Anyone can apply at Delta, so your chance is 100%. However, your chance of being hired will be 0%. US major airlines do not hire 250 hour pilots unlike European carriers.

5. In case you go first to a Delta Connection company, who long would it take to be able to go to Delta and do you have all licenes to become Delta pilot?

If you're fortunate enough to go to a DC carrier right out of DCA, the amount of time it would take to get to Delta (if they ever hire you), would be dependent on several factors including: US economy, number of pilots unemployed at the time you apply and the amount of time it took you to become a regional captain and gather at least 1,500 hours PIC. In order to be hired by Delta, you must have a FAA ATP license. In order to be competitive, it also helps to have a Bachelors Degree and internal recommendations. Delta also is partial to former military pilots.

6. And finally tell me which program includes the four year Barchelor and what does it cost/would it take?

Speedy Gonsalez
27th Oct 2008, 16:02
Thanks for the fast answer. Is there a flying school in the US with a good reputation and sensible prices which gives you the change to work with their licences later at Delta Connection or even Delta directly?

Please give me links!

malc4d
27th Oct 2008, 20:35
First question to ask is " how do l get a job in the USA " then search for the links.........:O

738FO
31st Oct 2008, 02:30
go visit the website, call the number and look for Robin , she is the admission officer there. if you got questions, you can ask her directly.

Aviation Flight Schools ? Delta Connection Academy ? Flight School, Flight Training for Pilots (http://www.deltaconnectionacademy.com)

lilpilot
8th Nov 2008, 06:48
The bad news:

The new Delta is quitely dismanteling Comair, wich operates as Delta Connection (amongst others)

DCA First Skimming: The current cost for a new trainee is $140000 and takes approx. year to get a Flight Instructor rating

DCA Second Skimming: Then you "build time" as flight instructor

NOBODY makes it to Delta from Comair these days and probably onto the next decade

Comair furloughed around 100 pilots in the last month

You wil not be hired by any airline in the US unless you are a citizen or hold a green card already at the time of application.

SAS-A321
17th Nov 2008, 20:46
The current cost for a new trainee is $140000 and takes approx. year to get a Flight Instructor rating

Where did you get that price from? I calculated a total price zero to CFI MEI (Professional Pilot Course) to 72270,2$

ViciousSquirrel
12th Dec 2008, 23:44
'Their' licences are FAA licenses just like all the other flight schools and no flight school in the US can get you a preferential interview with Delta mainline. All you can do is get your licences, work up your experience and then get enough PIC/turbine/whatever the competitive requirements are for the airline you'd like to work for then send in your resume like everyone else. You will not get a shoe in anywhere unless you have someone on the inside who can give you a recommendation. Often you need several.

Airlines here do not hire 250hr pilots. You'll also need a greencard or citizenship and, as someone mentioned, a degree is often necessary for a major. Good news is that most do not require you to pay for your own type and the CRM training is in house.

I would not recommend the Delta Connection Academy.

Please do some serious research first and check out all the different places/prices available in the US! Often it's easily as quick to go to a smaller flight school, get your ratings with the same instructor all the way through, work as a CFI (if you can get work) and then send your resume out when the job situation has improved.

SMOE
13th Dec 2008, 02:40
I attended Delta Connection Academy. Earned my CFI and CFII and was found 'unworthy' of being part of their instructor cadre. While I upgraded to Captain at ExpressJet, some who were instructors and check airmen while I was at the academy were still FOs at Comair or Chitaqua and a long way from upgrade. Piss off the staff and you will never see that interview. Instructors would get hired at Comair or Chitaqua and it would take another 6-9 months for them to get a class date. In the mean time, the school got to keep an instructor who had paid off the 800 hour dual given requirement time and again. Oh, and the 'jet transition' course is a complete waste of your time. Any regional that hires you will give you that jet transition course.

While they do provide an outstanding knowledge base to start your flying career off of, they have too many negatives I've personally witnessed:
- Grossly expensive
- Lots of politics, those with previous aeronautical experience and who are able to think for themselves do not do well there
- Lots of the instructors are just filling their logbooks. They will do just enough to get you through. You have to get yourself through.
- Retaining the untrainable in courses they will never get through to milk money out of them before they wash out
What the others posted here about Comair and the state of the regional airlines right now is dead on as well. Mesabe appears to be the clear winner in the Delta Connection sweepstakes right now. Oh, and Delta just announced last week that domestic capacity will be cut 8-10% next year. I suspect most of those cuts will come from Comair and ASA, which is also bleeding profusely.
Sorry to rain on your parade. I would recommend staying away from any operation that guarantees a job or job interview or a speedy ticket (private in 8 days!). The only true guarantee is they will take as much of your money as they can before you walk out their door.
Look at reputable places like the University of North Dakota or Kansas State. Just google 'flight training'
Good luck