PDA

View Full Version : would like to work in the states

kirkegaard
26th Oct 2008, 23:41
Hi,
I'm from europe, I've been offered a job as a jump pilot in the USA. They want me to start next month, and told me that eventhough they had never done this type of paperwork - they would help me out as much as possible, make a contract/ letter of agreement.

Since I'm not an american citizen and haven't got a greencard..... I don't know if I need a greencard to work there or some type of visa.... or how long the paperwork will take...

I'm going to talk to the embassy, but they are often hard to get an appointment with.

Anybody knows?

tbavprof
27th Oct 2008, 10:12
You need an H1 visa. The contract means SF'All to immigration. Your employer has to jump through a bunch of hoops and request the visa for you, after proving they can find no qualified Americans to do the job. Usual cost out-of-pocket to the employer is $5-$12k USD.

You could just go in on a visa-waiver and change status while over there. Of course, if you're working and you get picked up by ICE, it's immediate deportation, a felony charge, and no reentry to the US for 10 years.

PosClimb
28th Oct 2008, 03:49
I'm from europe, I've been offered a job as a jump pilot in the USA. They want me to start next month, and told me that eventhough they had never done this type of paperwork - they would help me out as much as possible, make a contract/ letter of agreement.

Are you paying them for this "job"?

If so, be careful.

There are A LOT of unemployed US pilots on the street. Why would they take a guy from Europe?

BelArgUSA
28th Oct 2008, 11:35
Kirkegaard cannot read English and what is being said in the "Wannabee Forums"
He wants someone who tells him "yes, great, come to USA..."
xxx
Kirkegaard, could you do me a favor...?
I have many friend pilots looking for a pilot job, in USA.
They have FAA ATPL, jet ratings, and are American citizen.
After you get your job there, could you help them...?
xxx
Mange tak
:E
Happy contrails.

BigJoeRice
28th Oct 2008, 15:04
It took my son four years to even get the INS to acknowledge his green card application. Good luck getting any kind of visa out of that lot in a month.

I'd have to agree with BelArgUSA; with unemployed pilots in the US like dog sh!t in the road, I too find it interesting that this company has to go overseas to find a driver. I think PosClimb offers some very good advice.

corsair
29th Oct 2008, 10:29
Here's what I wrote on your other thread, my friend. Read it again and forget about getting a job in the US right now.

kirkegaard, People shouldn't give you false hope. You won't get any permit to work in the USA anytime soon. The H1-B idea is fine except that your future employer will not be able to prove that there are no US citizens available because there are plenty of pilots around. Being a pilot is not a 'specialty occupation' much as we would like to think it is.

I suspect what the dropzone operator intends is that you will turn up without a visa. You will be self employed, so no reason for him to check visas. The hours are long and the pay is minimal. I don't know if you have ever flown skydivers but frankly it is a grinding job with long hours. It can be fun but it's very hard work. It's considered to be a transitional job and no more. There are a lot of skydive jobs available in the US. That itself will tell you what you need to know.

In truth you are either being conned or the dropzone operator is prepared to to flout the law because he is desperate for pilots or else he simply doesn't realise the ins and outs of immigration law.

If you go there, it's only a matter of time before the TSA catch up with you. They take a dim view of all that.

There is a website for American dropzone pilots. DiverDriver.com: The Jump Pilot's Information Resource

Check it out and ask a few questions on the forum.

granlistillo
30th Oct 2008, 08:57
How to work in the US:
1. Fly to mexico
2. Stop by one of the many places in mexico that will sell you a fake green card and social security card.
3. Catch a bus to the border and cross with your european passport.

They only mess with you if you try to follow the law.

PosClimb
30th Oct 2008, 09:20
2. Stop by one of the many places in mexico that will sell you a fake green card and social security card.

Hahahaha.....

corsair
30th Oct 2008, 10:19
Posclimb, he isn't joking.

skywalking
30th Oct 2008, 10:35
easy to get papers in Queens area of New York too...
not that i advise it though... :=