PDA

View Full Version : Workpermit for jump-pilot

kirkegaard
26th Oct 2008, 23:30
Hi,
I'm from europe, I've been offered a job as a jump pilot in the USA. They want me to start next month, and told me that eventhough they had never done this type of paperwork - they would help me out as much as possible, make a contract/ letter of agreement.

Since I'm not an american citizen and haven't got a greencard..... I don't know if I need a greencard to work there or some type of visa.... or how long the paperwork will take...

Anybody knows?

mcgoo
27th Oct 2008, 00:45
You will definately need a visa and very doubtful you will get one by next month, I looked into being an FI over there and its a nightmare, you have to write to the department of labor to see if that line of work is approved and cannot be filled by an American, then you have to apply for the visa and get sponsored by a company, all that takes ages and if during that time they find an American that can do the job, then your out of there.

I may be wrong but thats what I found, good luck!

dartagnan
27th Oct 2008, 01:20
hi,

these people dont know anything about work permit,....what a bunch of clueless US citizen again, miserable people...

they don't give a s..t about you,they have only you for now, and they will replace you once they find how hard it' s to get a work permit.
6 month minimum for an H2 visa, 5000$ it will cost to you or to your boss to apply and for this job, believe me, the immigration and the DOL will turn you down.
They dont like aliens and specially they hate foreign pilots.The US government hate even their own citizen..They would be happy to gaz them if they could!

do like mexicans,cross the border illegally,or go on a visa waiver, and start flying asap and dont give a toss about this work permit....if you are caught, you may receive a letter asking you to leave the country or they can put you in jail:{.but by the time they catch you, it could take years;)!

good luck!

747jetdriver
27th Oct 2008, 12:20
First of all dartagnan (http://www.pprune.org/members/131906-dartagnan) you are a an ignorant douche for saying crap like that about the US. Do I sense some hostility because you never got a US work permit.

As for the Original question from our Hopeful Danish jump pilot, you will have a VERY hard time getting a work permit, especially given today's economy and amount of furloughed crew members stateside.

Best bet is to enroll in a Green Card Lottery....I am sure not to many Danes enroll and chances to win it is high.

Best of luck...:ok::ok:

And dartagnan (http://www.pprune.org/members/131906-dartagnan):=

BelArgUSA
27th Oct 2008, 14:26
Appears that pilots seeking jobs constantly inquire about work in the USA.
Inquiries often originate from European pilots. I fail to understand.
xxx
Fact is (my opinion) FAA pilot training remains the nº 1 choice.
If not in quality, USA is definitely superior for the cost of training, and easy exams/tests.
You can achieve full CPL, ME and IR in a year's time. Even get CFI rating.
They (the FAA) do not try to re-invent the wheel, as JAA training does...!
xxx
Inquire about living in USA, I would say "go for it" - buy a little house in Florida.
Real estate is affordable there. Many Europeans settle (or retire) in Florida, or Texas.
Nice people. nice weather (except hurricanes), and low cost of living.
xxx
Working in USA as airline pilot (you all want to be 787 captains by 2015), an impossible dream.
The USA economy, and aviation employment market has been destroyed since long ago.
Europeans (and others) fail to realize the actual situation there.
Pilots jobs in USA offer low salaries. Airlines, pilot schools, even corporate.
Benefits (if any) are next to nothing. Medical insurances, are often your responsibility.
Retirement benefits, often disappear with company bankruptcies.
The USA dollar is, nowadays, as valuable as Monopoly money.
Pilots in Europe get hired by airlines with 250 hrs TT. In the USA, it takes some 2,000 hrs.
xxx
To 747jetdriver - no, for me, no hostility against the USA.
Well to the contrary. Got a green card in 1960s, and became a USA citizen in 1971.
But in 1991, PanAm became history, and forced me to move again.
I got 6 months of unemployment, lost my home, re-immigrated, Argentina in 1992.
You can come see my US passport framed in my office. I have a little USA flag on my desk.
I owe my airline career to PanAm, outstanding experience and training.
xxx
The "gold rush" in California was 1848... have you heard it is over...?
The airline hiring boom in USA was mid-1960s... have you also heard, it is over...?
Last visas by USA Immigration (green card) for pilots were issued in 1969.
The airline golden age is over since the Middle East October War 1973.
And further destroyed by deregulation 1979, airline bankruptcies and merges.
There are more US unemployed pilots than from other countries. Many have ATPL and jet rating.
There are thousands of US applicants for Cessna and Piper pilot positions.
With such employment situation, they would never approve pilot visas.
Most pilots from the USA seek employment in Middle East and Asia.
xxx
Make this a "sticky" - every other week - someone repeats the same inquiry.
The answer is "no, non, nâo, neen, nein, nyet, lah" for US pilot visas.
And Obama or McCain are not going to change that. They got Mexicans to worry about first.
Become a medical doctor, a nurse, or a scientist... there are visas for them.
xxx
:rolleyes:
Good luck and happy contrails

P.S. Apply for a Green Card through their lottery, your odds are better...!

G-BFUN
28th Oct 2008, 10:48
Hi BelArg
I am a European and the industry over here isn't as bad as you make out. (or what you states is that "we don't realise that it is")
There have been recently a number (be it in the low 1 or 2) ;) of major airlines starting part-sponsorship schemes and a number of recruitment pages on airlines websites (Ryanair) have been updated stating that they are expecting new aircraft in 2009 and will start recruiting inline with that.

I agree with you, its not the best, but I find it amazing that only 2 months ago it was all doom and gloom and no one recruiting for years and now these schemes are being offered and recruitment pages being updated with positive news.

Whats the situation like in the USA? Seen any (be it a glimmer) of upturn over there?

BelArgUSA
28th Oct 2008, 11:19
G-BFUN -
xxx
I did not say anything about Europe... here above, I am trying to describe the situation in USA.
I am fully aware that the situation in Europe is a little better than USA.
But better is not what I call good.
xxx
Look at the number of young kids in the North America forum inquiring about going to work in USA.
They are European. They do not realize their chances are slightly better "back home".
I know USA well, worked there 25 years with airlines.
And I am European born, frequently in Europe and in touch with friends, pilots in Europe.
xxx
Young guys ask "old farts" like me "what is best" - We try to help and advise.
Can they read...? USA is not the best choice for jobs these days.
I am in around planes since 1959, airlines since 1968.
Airline training manager since 1993 - so, I know nothing...
xxx
:=
Happy contrails

G-BFUN
28th Oct 2008, 11:29
I wasn't being negative towards you.
It was in relation to the comment you made in your previous post
The USA economy, and aviation employment market has been destroyed since long ago.
Europeans (and others) fail to realize the actual situation there.

I was just wondering that in the last month there has been quite a massive jump (in comparison to the "no jobs in years and years" in the British market at least)

I know you have lots of aviation experience and I have seen other numerous posts by your self and you do give great advice.

I was just asking if the situation had improved in the USA recently like it has "slightly" over in here in the UK.

I was just curious.

Anonymus6
28th Oct 2008, 11:37
Kikegaard,

I have worked as a pilot in the states on different type of work visas. The way you described it in your post it seems you need to get an H1-b visa. There are only about 65000 H1-b visas given out every year, and for this year it is over. Your employer need to apply for you in 2009 (April). you must have a bachelor degree as well to obtain this visa.

good luck

BelArgUSA
28th Oct 2008, 12:12
G-BFUN -
xxx
The situation in USA is very bad. Economy, unemployment (not only in aviation/airlines).
Here in Argentina, I get newspapers and have satellite TV.
I watch economic news, of North America, and Europe every day.
France, BBC-TV, Germany, Swiss TV, RAI Italia, RTP and Spain...
xxx
I do not call Europe's airline industry being good.
The only employment for pilots by airlines is by attrition.
Yes, a few low cost airlines have hired...
In the USA, the number of pilots on unemployment is staggering.
Will take years to absorb them back in active flying.
xxx
Being in training department, I am constantly receiving CVs of pilots.
If around training facilities and simulators, number of pilots ask about openings.
I try to help pilots, many with ATPL and 737/320 ratings...
xxx
In 3 weeks, I hang my hat, and leave the airline industry for retirement.
I wish I left this industry with a happier note for pilots.
Compared to the 1993 events, and the downturns since then... this is bad.
You should have known 1966-1969 with PanAm...
Some one hundred pilots from Europe got a visa and a job.
And there were many many many other airlines in USA who all were hiring.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

corsair
28th Oct 2008, 12:22
kirkegaard, People shouldn't give you false hope. You won't get any permit to work in the USA anytime soon. The H1-B idea is fine except that your future employer will not be able to prove that there are no US citizens available because there are plenty of pilots around. Being a pilot is not a 'specialty occupation' much as we would like to think it is.

I suspect what the dropzone operator intends is that you will turn up without a visa. You will be self employed, so no reason for him to check visas. The hours are long and the pay is minimal. I don't know if you have ever flown skydivers but frankly it is a grinding job with long hours. It can be fun but it's very hard work. It's considered to be a transitional job and no more. There are a lot of skydive jobs available in the US. That itself will tell you what you need to know.

In truth you are either being conned or the dropzone operator is prepared to to flout the law because he is desperate for pilots or else he simply doesn't realise the ins and outs of immigration law.

If you go there, it's only a matter of time before the TSA catch up with you. They take a dim view of all that.

There is a website for American dropzone pilots. DiverDriver.com: The Jump Pilot's Information Resource (http://www.diverdriver.com/index.htm)

Check it out and ask a few questions on the forum.