PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Age to begin training?

Topskier
26th Oct 2008, 21:17
Firstly apologies...

I'm new to this forum, and although I've attempted to find what I was looking for using the search feature, I was buried by stuff that didn't seem relevant :ugh:

I'd like to ask a question however that's bound to have been asked loads of times before, so if someone can respond by posting a link (rather than abuse for being thick for not finding anything using the search) that'd be great!

I'm 29, and aside from two trial/introductory flights I've had no formal flying training. I've recently had laser eye surgery which has brought me within the limits for a JAA class 1 medical and am hoping to pursue my PPL. My end goal would be to fly for a living, preferably for an airline, but I'd consider pretty much any flying job. So am I too old to even consider flying for an airline for a living?

I wouldn't be able to study quickly, I'd have to go the modular route (mortgage, wife etc), so by the time I'm finished would I still be employable? The recent Pilot Magazine article hinted that some pilots only qualify at the age of 35, but considering the great British weather is likely to retard the progress of my PPL (lessons would have to be at weekends/ summer evenings...) is it worth me considering?

I've rambled on... apologies again...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

portsharbourflyer
26th Oct 2008, 21:32
At 29 you have plenty of time.

The oldest person I knew to get a job last year was about 46.
Age is not so much an issue, your personal circumstances can be.

The thing to remember is when you do qualify the starting salaries can be quite low. So the problem is not so much raising the cash for training it is trying to survive on a turboprop first officers/FI salary when you do qualify.

The other thing to consider is your wife prepared relocate anywhere for you to get the first job.

It is easier for a single person who is forty and financially secure to get a job than someone who is thirty with commitments.

BelArgUSA
26th Oct 2008, 21:34
Max age to begin training is not specified... maybe 97...?
That was your question, right...?
xxx
Now, what maximum age to be hired by an airline...?
I would say some may consider candidates at 40 or 45 of age.
They probably prefer people in their 30s...
With retirement set at 65, that gives you a career of 20 or 25+ years as pilot.
No knowing what will be the situation then, expect 5 to 12 years to upgrade as captain.
xxx
Best of luck.
:)
Happy contrails

scruggs
26th Oct 2008, 21:34
This thread may be of interest.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/51690-perpetual-am-i-too-old-how-old-too-old-thread-merged-several-times.html

All the best to you.

S

Topskier
28th Oct 2008, 22:00
Thanks Scruggs,

that's been really useful! I guess it's a question of how I go about it. I've been thinking of joining a local flying school, but I was also considering doing a three week intensive course in Florida/ Spain etc...

Have you had any experience with these type of courses? I've heard they can be run by unscrupulous people and the weather isn't always reliable?

Can't wait to get training now! Just hope we get some decent weather?!
:confused:

TheBP
28th Oct 2008, 22:36
Hey Topskier,

There's loads of info on these forums, I know what you mean about finding it all though - the search function on here can be a real pain in terms of relevancy. Personally I find searching the site using Google tends to obtain more relevant results (type "Site: pprune.org" [without the quotes or space] at the end of your search phrase, it'll limit it to only here). Of course then it doesn't order them well by date..

Stay around, read threads that interest you and you'll quickly find yourself learning a lot. Although I dread to think how many hours (days, weeks?!) I've spent reading some useless stuff..

With regards to training abroad, you'll find a full range of opinions. It really comes down to what suits your circumstances the best. In terms of reliability of weather abroad - well, you can't really get much worse than the UK!

Just today there's a thread going about GBP/USD rates (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/348607-falling-gbp-v-usd-affecting-your-plans.html (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/348607-falling-gbp-v-usd-affecting-your-plans.html)), which mentions South Africa being attractive due to their currency apparently falling even more than ours has.

Eikido asked about training in Iceland due to their exchange rate (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/348609-train-iceland.html). But I've absolutely no idea about that.. and no one has responded thus far. Would certainly bring a whole new personal meaning to the credit "freeze"! :cool:

Overall, like you I couldn't wait to get going and finally have - but we are in a reallllllly bad situation, so keep the day job, train over time and don't expect any jobs to come easily. But it does seem you're starting in a sensible way and thinking about training economically.. so a very good start :ok:

Best of luck to you.

TheBP
28th Oct 2008, 22:39
Forgot to mention: I presume as you're posting on here that you're intending to go commercial?

If so, before committing any cash to training I'd think very seriously about obtaining a Class 1 medical and you couldn't go far wrong in taking GAPAN's aptitude assessment.