PDA

View Full Version : best flight training city in canada

hgm
26th Oct 2008, 18:52
Hello every1, please can anybody tell me the best city for flight training in canada in terms of best aviation weather and low cost of living ? any advise will be highly appreciated.:confused:

BelArgUSA
26th Oct 2008, 19:07
Right off the bat, I would say Manitoba or Saskatchewan is cheaper.
Simply because bad weather systems do not last long. But is co-o-o-ld and windy.
Just check the meteorological statistics and select the best for you.
Despite the rains, I like Vancouver area. My favorite for Canada.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

604guy
26th Oct 2008, 23:52
best city for flight training in canada in terms of best aviation weather and low cost of living

Moncton, CYQM

Carrier
26th Oct 2008, 23:59
Excellent weather in Southern Alberta also. Calgary is too expensive but Lethbridge and Medicine Hat both have flight schools. Try Bar XH Air at Medicine Hat.

Firestorm
29th Oct 2008, 08:02
Gimli did well for me: I went there all the way from England! It took 4 1/2 months from first flight to CPL, and multi rating.

FL470
31st Oct 2008, 12:20
I had good experiences with Winnipeg :ok:

North Shore
2nd Nov 2008, 04:28
At this time of year, probably the prairies somewhere - Winnipeg? Steinbach? But, be prepared, the winter there can be BITTER (-40C! and windy as well..) However, generally, when it is that cold, the sun is shining and it is great flying wx. If you were on a time schedule, then I'd probably go there. Scenery-wise I'd probably head for the West Coast, but our cost of living is pretty high, and in the winter, it rains a lot, so there's not a whole bunch of flying..

good luck.

hibypassratio
4th Nov 2008, 19:09
Moncton has a low cost of living and MFC is a great school, although the wx can be crappy at times. I still highly recommend it.

WallyBallbearing
15th Nov 2008, 14:23
The best is the one that gives you a job when your done. Try a float operator or Flying school that has a history of hiring their own people. Avoid the ones that make you believe you'll be some super hero when your done "their program".

That said; Mount Royal, Seneca, and Sioux colleges have quite a alumni, good contacts all over the globe and of course, Canada. Never a bad idea to got he college route.

ODGUY
19th Nov 2008, 12:58
You mean Soo Aviation in Sault Ste. Marie.

Sioux Lookout is in Northwestern Ontario and is the gateway to the northern reserves and has no aviation college, not even a flight school, but a **** load of flying year round.

Jetgate
19th Nov 2008, 21:37
Went to Pacific Flying Club at Boundary Bay Airport; which is now positioning its self as Vancouver's other airport....

Before I signed up they promised -

Good training and I received EXCELLENT training.

Great location and my god was it busy and also one of the most beautiful places to look around!

Moreover, lifelong friendships which I now value more than all the above as I have gained a whole other family.. :ok:

Launchpad McQuack
19th Nov 2008, 22:23
Ok, so if I wished to remain in the Vancouver area and wanted to convert an overseas license, who would I be best to do this with? The name 'Pro' seems to come up a bit, based at Boundary I believe? Also...is there much demand for Instructors in Canada at the moment??

Cheers guys...

LP

rigpiggy
21st Nov 2008, 16:15
Go with Pro in YVR, fantastic IFR training, and you don't have to shovel snow, well not more than twice a year. They also have a victoria base, though a bit far to downtown.

Riz0
26th Nov 2008, 13:34
Can anyone help me find a decent JAA or JAR licensing integrated commercial license course in Canada please.

would be much appreciated

Thanks

TopGunGB
4th Dec 2008, 20:44
Riz0,

Moncton Flight College used to have a fantastic JAA program, but the department has since folded. I think there's a school in Manitoba that does JAA, not too sure. I suggest you do your flying here in the UK. It may be more expensive, but you're more likely to find a really great school here than in North America now that Moncton is no longer an option.

kingoftheslipstream
7th Dec 2008, 07:14
Pacific Flying Club, now at Boundary Bay airport near Vancouver... I got my start there in the '70s when it was still on the south side of CYVR.

But I have to say, the best city in North America for flying training is Moose Jaw, SK former home of "The Big 2" and currently home of NATO training and CAF training. It just doesn't get any better. :ok:

Happy contrails!;)

Riz0
10th Dec 2008, 20:49
Is the place your talking about?

JAA - Joint Aviation Authority - Obtain your JAA PPL or ATPL in Canada! (http://www.harvair.mb.ca/jaa/index.htm)

looks really good especially their professional pilot program

Riz0
10th Dec 2008, 21:23
Is there a decent school in Vancouver Canada that issues JAA Licenses or accredited towards it for a integrated course

Vc10Tail
11th Dec 2008, 17:12
With an ICAO and FAA CPL and ready to tackle the Canadian ATPL where would i get the most expedient prep?How helpful are the weekend ATPL seminars additionally?What is the minimum time frame required to prepare for the writtens?Between Monkton,Sasketchewan and somewhere in Alberta,where woul it be most economical?I hail from Kenya..and dread the thorny corrupted ATPL system currently in force there!

Thanks

Riz0
12th Dec 2008, 13:09
does anyone know much about this school

Canadian CPL/IR License - Commonwealth OACI License - European JAA-ATPL license (http://www.cargair.com/flightschool/jaalicense.html)

might prove to be better then the one I had originally posted

Thanks

readbackincorrect
4th Jan 2009, 22:02
Vc10Tail..the weekend aerocourse seminars are great for ATPL...just stay away from the Cul"""e books theyre baaaad.

Ottawa is a great city to fly in canada and so is T.O

Ste88
9th Jan 2009, 12:46
Hello!I'm italian and i'm working now to do flight licenses. I have to decide my flight school, i'd like to go in Canada but my real problem is the weather needs to fly. I'm thinking about MFC in Moncton, should be nice to become my training. My question is how long should be the time to complete the course from 0 to cpl-ir/me? I know very well, the answer depends on personal skil but i refer to weather condition. How much could be effected my training by weather!?Thanks a lot!

SAS-A321
11th Jan 2009, 10:04
Bon giorno Ste88,
I about to sign up for the IATPL course and from what I can see the program will take around 11-12 months. I am planning with a budget for 13 months.
I don't know if you are planning to take the ICPC/IR, which I think is shorter as you will not get ATPL ground school, or if you are planning to take the IATPL like me. Also are you planning on taking the Canadian program? The JAA program is not availble anymore from what I have heard.