PDA

View Full Version : Jump seat privilages??

darrenphughes
26th Oct 2008, 01:47
Just wondering if there are any helo pilots that have used their 135 certs to ride jump seat with any airlines. I don't even know if we are actually allowed to or not but I was just wondering. Or better yet, are there any 135 helicopter operators that are members of Cockpit Access Security System(CASS)?

Buitenzorg
26th Oct 2008, 04:26
Before 9/11, I jump-seated between LAX and LAS a bit. National Airlines, now sadly defunct, had a very liberal jumpseat policy, basically leaving it at captains' discretion. Also occasionally with other airlines, but much more spotty. Never tried it after 9/11. One friend of mine jump seated first class to Paris on UAL late 2000.

Before the change of ownership, ERA also had a fixed-wing airline and had genuine reciprocal jump seat arrangements with several airlines which included the helicopter pilots. Evergreen still do.

Gordy
26th Oct 2008, 07:10
Pre 9-11 it was easier. You are bottom of the list if you are "just" a 135 pilot. You need to be able to provide "reciprocal" flights should the need arise. The company I worked for had an agreement with a couple of major airlines---I "jumped" to and from Hawaii a few times and with in the State of Hawaii all the time. Post 9-11, could only jump with Aloha and Hawaiian airlines. You did need to have a "company issued photo ID" which had your 135 cert # etc.