PDA

View Full Version : Only in India...

alexmcfire
25th Oct 2008, 17:52
So this wasn´t calculated with when they built the runway,
Delhi's new airstrip 'not India's longest'-Delhi-Cities-The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Delhi/Delhis_new_airstrip_touted_Indias_longest_is_just_seventh/articleshow/3639788.cms)[/B]

Rotorhead1026
26th Oct 2008, 01:52
Yup, 29 has a looooong displaced threshold. Also, the connecting taxiway infrastructure is months away from completion, so it's a 15 to 20 minute ride back to parking, depending on landing traffic. If we start flying overtime again that runway is going to get really popular!

on_the_right
26th Oct 2008, 02:53
what if it was calculated ?

Rotorhead1026
26th Oct 2008, 04:06
what if it was calculated ?

I can make several comments on that, but in the interests of people's feelings, I'll keep quiet.

After an appropriate amount of (face-saving) time - to make all this look like it WAS planned - the statue will be removed / rebuilt and the full length of the runway will be made available for landing. I say this without having been up close to the statue and the surroundings, and assume a relocation is possible. If not, ... <GULP> :uhoh:

Capt Apache
26th Oct 2008, 04:18
Rotor Havent you seen what happens in India when you try to remove some employees out of a loss making company.Imagine what will happen if they try to remove God himself(as they understand it).There will be the kind of political vandalism we have witnessed in the past few days.That statue will be there forever or atleast till Shiva himself comes on earth and puts sense into peoples heads.

EMB170
5th Nov 2008, 09:23
having come here for some time, i understand they will displace the threshold for a god, but why in gods name is the runway designator 29 when the magnetic track is 283 and runway 28's track is 284 ??????
why not call it 28R und 28L as they would anywhere else in the world ?

maybe somebody knows the reason, if you do please let me know !

on top of that it hasn't been put into EGPWS data base, so the first time you arrive you can expect a low terrain warning, great in foggy condition !

Rotorhead1026
5th Nov 2008, 16:44
EMB170:

why not call it 28R und 28L as they would anywhere else in the world ?

Some places / airports just don't like the perceived potential for confusion. I don't know if this would help the situation in Delhi that much, but it's harder to mix up 29 and 28 then 28L and 28R. Whatever ... Atlanta does something like this as well, as I recall [addenda: 9L, 9R, 8L, 8R, and 10 - all 274/094 degrees], although it's a matter of several parallel runways there. It's not uncommon in the US.

Apache:

Imagine what will happen if they try to remove God himself

Good point. I suggest a military parade past the statue to celebrate the new runway. One of the tanks could have a "steering casualty" at the appropriate time. Problem solved. The other tanks would presumably protect the "culprits" from rioters, assuming they don't riot themselves. :)

GroundProxGuy
9th Nov 2008, 20:04
on top of that it hasn't been put into EGPWS data base, so the first time you arrive you can expect a low terrain warning, great in foggy condition !

VIDP Rwy 11/29 is in the EGPWS database in Version 451, released in late August 2008. Check with your MX dept if it isn't loaded yet.

EGPWS runway search engine link (for VIDP, you can check any ICAO by entering it in search box):

http://egpws.com/cgi-bin/mk57_search.pl?method=exact&search=vidp