PDA

View Full Version : 87 hours 44 time

2001ft
25th Oct 2008, 11:40
I passed my PPL(H) in 2006 and built 87 hours up on Robinson 44's.

Haven't flown for over a year now so will be very rusty and my R44 type rating expired in October 2007.

Just passed my Class 1 initial as I would like to get back into the driving seat and do my CPL(H). Then noticed I am a thicko and only passed 4 GCSE's with the minimum entry for CPL being 5!

Did other qualifications (including a Higher National Diploma) after GCSE's - would they let me through with this? Or do I have to don a cap and school uniform and go back to doing another GCSE before I start? (ps I am almost 40!)

As for hours, I take it all I need is a brave saftey pilot to do my type rating to make me valid again then hour build my backside off to 155?

VeeAny
25th Oct 2008, 11:56
Without looking anything up

Then noticed I am a thicko and only passed 4 GCSE's with the minimum entry for CPL being 5!

Says who ?

I know at least two people who have CPLs who would struggle to find their own backsides without a hint (and I would knit fog if they have 1 GCSE never mind 5).

And now having looked at some documents.

A quote from LASORS with my emboldening from section A4 [HOW TO BE A PILOT UNDER
JAR-FCL]

The educational standard assumed for the full time
Commercial Pilot Licence Integrated course is at least
5 GCE ‘O’ Level or 5 GCSE ‘C’ Level passes, including
English Language, Mathematics and a Science
subject. However, the minimum educational requirements
are actually left to the discretion of the FTO concerned.
You will probably find that for sponsorship, an airline will
require at least 2 GCE ‘A’ Level or 2 GCSE ‘H’ Level
passes.

Note that this says for an integrated course, which you won't be doing anyway, there don't appear to be any pre requisites for a CPL(H) which is viewed as a PPL(H) upgrade as far as a modular course is concerned.

I think you are fine to begin your training.

heliporto
25th Oct 2008, 11:57
Hi there, i´m almost 40 too, and i´m finishing ATPL-H ground school in order to do a conversion from ICAO to JAA, so i had to do all the theory again (JAA), so that i can fly in Europe.

Check with bristol Ground School, where you can do you theory course, from what i know you will have no problem with the GCSE´s, and they are very professional.

Go for it mate, it´s a long way, but it pays in the end
Best of luck

206Fan
25th Oct 2008, 13:55
Im confused, i thought qualifications only got you into a CPL course through the military??

biggles99
25th Oct 2008, 14:01
2001ft,

where are you based?

If it's somewhere near the Midlands, UK, then I will be able to sort you out some hours on a cost sharing basis in a 22 or a 44.

Big Ls

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2008, 16:06
You need more than a brave safety pilot; you need an instructor/examiner to revalidate your PPL(H) and type-rating via an LPC.

Once you have your PPL revalidated, you can enrol with a groundschool (Bristol, CAPT) for the ATPL(H) exams (or CPL exams if that's the route you'd prefer), hour-build and study, then CPL flying course once you've got the 155 hours.

Cheers

Whirls

2001ft
26th Oct 2008, 09:26
thanks for all your help - I know what I need to do now!

:ok:

ChippyChop
26th Oct 2008, 20:29
Hey there 2001 you seem to be a confused person. One minute you are a CPL with an aircraft and want to operate under a borrowed AOC next thing you are a PPL with 87 hours on a 44!!

Or am I missing something

2001ft
26th Oct 2008, 20:41
ChippyShop - my other thread regarding AOC was me exploring what to do when I get my CPL(H). :rolleyes:

see my comments on the AOC thread