PDA

View Full Version : Research for novel

Guardian Angel
25th Oct 2008, 09:49
Hello - wasn't sure if this query should be in the Spotter's corner, but I was hoping some of the HK based pilots might be able to help with research for my new novel. My husband's an airline pilot, and (inevitably - had to happen eventually!) the novel has a strong flight theme.

The book opens on 9/11 - as the Twin Towers fall in New York, the main character is flying from Tokyo to Hong Kong. I believe the time difference is 12 hours? 8.46am New York - 9.46pm Hong Kong/Tokyo? Were any of you flying that night? Which airlines would operate this route? Were passengers alerted in the air about the disaster? In First Class, would they be able to find out by any means if there wasn't a general announcement (what contact would the passengers have with the outside world - in flight phones etc?)

On landing, what was the atmosphere in HK? Was the news relayed in the airport? Were flights grounded? The character needs to travel on to Spain - were there flights to Madrid or Barcelona from HK, or would they transfer?

Many thanks for your time and help - any details about flight schedules, personal experience, atmosphere would be greatly appreciated.