PDA

View Full Version : Interested to become a pilot should I do CPL or ATPL?

CJ84
25th Oct 2008, 07:47
Hello to everyone,

I'm sure most of the users here have seen a thread like this before. I'm really interested to become a pilot and would like to fly for an airline oneday. I'm now 24 years old and currently doing my Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, but now I'm confused if I should do my CPL or ATPL?

One more thing, I'm a Sikh, so that basically means I have to wear a Turban. Do airlines actually take pilots who wear turbans. Has anyone here ever seen a Sikh Pilot? I really hope I can't get some very useful information.

I'm also planning to join the 43 Air School, can anyone please provide me with information and how this school is.

Thanks for your time.

Chojy

captain_flynn
26th Oct 2008, 01:51
You have to pass your ATPL exams and do your CPL/IR before joining the airlines.

CJ84
26th Oct 2008, 18:22
Thanks all for the info, and Rainboe have you heard of Sikhs in any other airlines. I've heard that Emirates don't hire Sikhs?

BelArgUSA
27th Oct 2008, 14:50
My friends the Sikhs...
Our PanAm rep in Bombay, was a Sikh... Great guy, this Mr. Singh.
Makes it easy for introduction, all of them are named Singh...
I recall another Singh, he was F/O flying in East Africa.
But he cut his hair... I know it is not acceptable, but maybe was his decision.
xxx
Certainly, there must be a way to find large earphones to fit over a turban.
I personally do not wear earphone "cups"... just a "stick-it-in-your-ear" Plantronics set.
Might be suitable to use with a turban, maybe...?
Turban is certainly a lesser problem than some who people who have large beards.
I do not know how they fit beards when wearing oxygen masks.
But with a turban, I do not know how to fit that mask as well.
Religious problem... turban and pilot equipment...
xxx
Good luck to you, Mr. Singh. I do not know what to recommend.
How do they do with Air India and Indian Airlines...?
:ok:
Happy contrails, over Srinagar

nicky7789
14th Jan 2010, 04:32
isnt it CPL then ATPL and if u pass you can start flying commercial planes, isnt it?

just want to ask, once i finish my cpl, can i have my atpl in hong kong cause i want to be a cathay pacific pilot..

DarkSoldier
14th Jan 2010, 15:04
Not sure about elsewhere but in the EU - as long as you have the right to live and work here then you can be considered by any European airline, whether you are a Sikh or not... otherwise you can grab yourself a nice little claim for racial discrimination.

welliewanger
15th Jan 2010, 08:28
CPL - Allows you to fly and get paid for it. Up to a maximum Maximum Take Off Mass (MTOM) of something like 20,000lbs (or is that kilos?... anyway, nothing all that big and not many passengers)

ATPL - Requires a CPL and IR (both multi engine) and loads of theory. Allows you to fly pretty much anything (once you've got a type rating on that particular aircraft)
Oh, and make sure you know the difference between an ATPL and a frozen ATPL. The flight school will get you the frozen ATPL, then you've got to get 1500hrs (with various requirements like 500 multi crew hours) to get the full ATPL.
With a frozen ATPL you can apply to the airlines.
With a full ATPL you can be captain of an airline.

As a sweeping generalization. The biggest thing you'll fly with a CPL is a King Air. If you've got an ATPL, then you can fly anything.

Turbans? Yes, airlines like 500 hours "turban" experience:D
Sorry, too easy!
In an interview you'll be judged very quickly on appearance. I'm sure you know better than me how a turban can be judged. Some will instantly (maybe subconsciously) reject you. But I think that generally if you look professional, it shouldn't be an issue.