PDA

View Full Version : SH Ferries to Op.Telic & the other warm area.

ambidextrous
24th Oct 2008, 10:47
Dear All,
Some months ago it was reported, briefly, that an RAF Puma on it's way back from Op.Telic had diverted into Tel Aviv airport with technical problems.
Q-Is this a normal occurrence, not the diversion but the ferry of SH helicopters to the operational areas?
Q-Is this a regular occurrence for heavy maintenance reasons?
Q-If so, does this indicate a shortage of heavy lift transport capability?
With fraternal greetings,
ambi:ok:

Door Slider
24th Oct 2008, 12:50
It was not a Puma. Puma’s go to theatre by C17.

Larger types such as CH47 and Merlin require a much larger degree of engineering work to fit them in the back. It can be quicker to self ferry instead of taking them to bits, rebuilding them and doing the air testing.

A couple of years ago the Puma fleet trialled completing more major engineering work in theatre. This meant more people away from home and in the threat than necessary. Being further from the supply chain incurred unnecessary delays and on the whole it did not work.

None of the above indicates a shortage of helicopters but we all know that the fleet does need to be bigger to cope with increasing demand.

Flag Track
24th Oct 2008, 20:57
I think this relates to a Cyprus based Griffin landing at Tel Aviv, journos, stick, wrong end?

Spurlash2
24th Oct 2008, 22:13
Gents,

I think you need to consider what it is you are saying about 'stuff'.

Comments here, comments there. It all adds up for people that do 'adding up' for a living.

Spurlash2
24th Oct 2008, 22:15
Bugger.

I've just done it myself:(