PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Pilot Job market

Scorpion83
23rd Oct 2008, 12:38
Hey Ppruners

Just wondering if anyone can shead some light on the Filipino Pilot job market at the moment. I've seen a couple of comments regarding pilots leaving the Philippines in search of higher paying jobs. Is that leaving much in the way of demand for more pilots?

Cheers

HarmonRabb
25th Oct 2008, 12:59
Is that leaving much in the way of demand for more pilots?

That's a fair comment I would say. Also, the airlines are being picky. Ex. need to be college graduate, must post a bond if you trained overseas just in case you leave but if you are a local who has never left the country, you are excluded, must know someone from the inside to push your application, and if you are unlucky enough to get hired by any of the LCCs, you get paid peanuts, pay a bond and get retrenched after 6 months or get demoted from flying a 737 down to a Dash 8 or from a BAE146 down to a chinese made MA60. And so on. Then you have to put up with government inefficiencies and beaureacracies regarding license conversions and renewals. In short, you get frustrated and will decide to leave.

Scorpion83
26th Oct 2008, 00:58
I pretty much fulfill most of that criteria, have a degree, Australian ME-CIR, almost have my CPL and eligible for Filipino citizenship.

By the sounds of things I'm better off hanging out in Australia to get my experience. Its a shame though, really love going to the Phils and it would be a dream job doing an island hopping run.

HarmonRabb
26th Oct 2008, 02:14
Couldn't agree with you more. My advise is, build your time up to a respectable and marketable level there in Australia then come to the Philippines and try your luck. Just be prepared financially as the waiting can financially drain you if you can't get in at once.

Goodluck

captain_mark747
26th Oct 2008, 05:26
"must know someone from the inside to push your application"

does this really guarantee that you'll be hired by an airline if you know someone who works for the airline? given that you meet all the requirements,etc?

just wanted to clarify....

thanks

Rightwingheavy
26th Oct 2008, 08:48
probability 99.9% that you will be hired, sometimes even if you do not meet the requirements. they can always bend the rules, just depends how BIG your PADRINO is. i've seen it happen before and to someone that i know.

HarmonRabb
26th Oct 2008, 12:00
Hear, hear.... I've seen it happen too.

A guy did not even do an entrance test and got moved up to a jet job even without experience ahead of the senior pilots to their dismay. On one occasion, the guy even did not turn up for his IR sim check and got hired, and worst, got ahead of the selection line. One even failed an IR check and still got in..... go figure.... whereas a guy line up for a 737 job and another one for an A320 got sidelined and dumped for someone else who knows someone from the inside. Someone with "big guns " I think. Worst is, they say something bad about an applicant and that's the end of him or her. I've seen it happen too.
If you can put up with this then, join the country club.

thrust clb
26th Oct 2008, 22:10
I don't know how you all got your info, but with cebupak there are 2 fil-ams and one fil-aus who got in without pulling some strings. All are Captains already. There is another one on schooling soon on the Atr's .All four of them have VERIFIABLE flying times and shown competence on the sim evals and line checks.

As been quoted in this forum elsewhere...IF YOU KNOW HOW TO FLY, AND HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE, CEBU PACIFIC WILL TAKE YOU.

Scorpion83
31st Oct 2008, 01:30
Just one more question, do many of the charter airlines have a website at all, there seems to be only a handfull of charter operators with an online presence. I've found YouTube to be an interesting tool in searching for another operator or two.

powerstall
31st Oct 2008, 01:52
most of all the charter companies in manila don't have a website and a few operates king air's and a smaller lot operates corporate jets. If my guess is right there are only about less than 20 companies...

just my two cents worth. :ok:

c208cpt
29th Dec 2008, 17:03
Im a c208 cpt in the states do u know of any small cargo / charter ops in the philippines i can contact for a job? I cant seem 2 find anything.

cncalpha
30th Dec 2008, 04:11
Clark Aviation is looking for Instructors as they are expanding globally according to the GM. They dont pay good as they have most foreigners working there who takes home the main chunk of the budgeted salaries depriving Filipinos of equal pay for the same job in their own country. Apply with them as they are a global company and market leader in aviation training based on their advertising but expect peanuts if you are Pinoy. They will have training centres all over the world with their expansion plan and the upcoming IPO. They are partly owned by SQ according to www.prescient.com (http://www.prescient.com) so its a safe bet.