PDA

View Full Version : Taxing time

caucatc
23rd Oct 2008, 04:16
In large airports ,the aircraft need to taxi about 25 minutes to their apron and some pilots request runway so that they can save time,their excuse is aircraft is not suitable for long time taxing ,is that true ?
What is the longest time you have spend in taxing ?

dada
23rd Oct 2008, 05:35
Lurn to spell. taxing? whats that

Opssys
23rd Oct 2008, 07:31
The longest time for Taxying - Hmm. Well one example of a bad delay between Pushback and actually getting on the Runway was at Newark, when a CRJ Pushed on Schedule and due congestion didn't make it to the runaway for take-off until an hour later, which exceeded the scheduled block time for the Flight..

SNS3Guppy
23rd Oct 2008, 08:21
A heavy airplane taxiing at a slow speed will increase a significant increase in wheel and brake temperatures simply from sidewall flex. A very long taxi (typica at places like Amsterdam) can result in elevated brake temperatures upon arrival at the runway. This in tern has an effect on the available brake energy in the event of a rejected takeoff, and if the temperature is high enough may also require leaving the gear down for a short time after takeoff...especially if the leg length is short.

After landing, the same thing applies. Sitting with brakes applied can increase brake temperatures and heat wheel assemblies, warp or damage brakes, and even seize brakes.

Out Of Trim
23rd Oct 2008, 18:10
The longest time for Taxying - Hmm. Well one example of a bad delay between Pushback and actually getting on the Runway was at Newark, when a CRJ Pushed on Schedule and due congestion didn't make it to the runaway for take-off until an hour later, which exceeded the scheduled block time for the Flight..

That's no record - Traffic at JFK can take 3 hours taxying for departure..
as the US don't operate a a slot system. Aircraft often shut down engines to save fuel while waiting in line. Sometimes they have to return to stand to refuel! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

ASCOT Ops Retd
26th Oct 2008, 09:42
These are all reasons I regularly roll my eyes when people quote chocks-to-chocks times; they're way too inaccurate. It's all very quaint, but actually an added level of confusion when arranging something at destination. Either side of takeoff and landing I don't care if they paint the thing on the way to parking.

GRIZZLER
26th Oct 2008, 12:46
correct me if i am wrong dada..... you might be able to spell taxing ,but you can't spell learn.......pot and kettle come to mind.

plans123
26th Oct 2008, 18:08
Don't you just hate people that don't spell ded gud englund. :ok:

Lefthandseat
14th Nov 2008, 13:17

Lefthandseat
14th Nov 2008, 13:21
good grief! huat happened wen its inn weenter and one hass too de-ice? due hold-over time?.
Pleese share. TQ.

Lefthandseat
14th Nov 2008, 13:25
SNS3guppy is absolutely wright!
so theres ur answer. just for info, some aircraft hav brakes fans installed so it helps but still ..yes long TAXI-ING time does affect ur Vmbe in a bad way.

btw, are u at zbtj?