PDA

View Full Version : Mid-air collision - and survived !

AMEandPPL
22nd Oct 2008, 19:10
What a remarkable story from the USA . . . . . . !

Planes survive mid-air crash - World - AOL News (http://news.aol.co.uk/world-news/planes-survive-mid-air-crash/article/20081022125519775152897)

vanHorck
22nd Oct 2008, 19:41
ok then! Lets keep THIS trend and loose the one of the last coouple of weeks!

AMEandPPL
22nd Oct 2008, 20:11
OK then! Let's keep THIS trend and lose the one of the last couple of weeks!

Good idea ! Couldn't agree more.

Flying is
Fun,
First and
Foremost

SkyHawk-N
22nd Oct 2008, 22:30
Picture of the 210 after 'landing'

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/P1010003+1.jpg

more here .....

FAA to Investigate Midair Collision Involving MCSO Plane / 11 News, Grand Junction's News Leader, Eleven Minutes of Non-Stop News, No-Wait Weather, Montrose News (http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/32344989.html)
From Welcome to GJSentinel.com! (http://www.gjsentinel.com)

Father, son crash-land plane upside down, walk away uninjured
Published October 22, 2008 @ 11:07 am by Gary Harmon

Several people survived a midair collision of small airplanes above the Grand Valley this morning.

A father and son crash-landed upside down on a plateau between Lands End Road and U.S. Highway 50 on the south side of Grand Mesa.

Pilot Tom Haefeli of Del Norte and his father John were over the Kannah Creek area, and Tom was making a soft turn.

“All of a sudden there was a plane right in front of us” John Haefeli said.

Tom Haefeli turned the nose down, but it was too late. The other plane sheared off a section of the tail, and from then on he had no control of the plane.

They had time to think, “We’re not going to make it,” John said.

The plane landed upside down and quickly came to rest, not sliding along the ground, John said.

The St. Mary’s Hospital CareFlight helicopter was dispatched to the crash site, but the Haefelis pulled themselves out of their plane and gathered their belongings.

They were taken from the crash scene by ground ambulance as a precaution, authorities said.

The Haefelis said they were flying to Idaho to pick up a car they had bought.
The second airplane, which was carrying two prisoners, made it to Grand Junction Regional Airport with damaged landing gear. It came to rest tail up on the north runway.

No injuries were reported.

Two prisoners were seen exiting the plane at the airport, and the prisoners were taken from the airport in a Mesa County Sheriff’s Department vehicle.

AMEandPPL
22nd Oct 2008, 22:54
The article cited there says "FAA to investigate". I thought the FAA was the equivalent of our CAA, and their equivalent of our AAIB is the NTSB.

In the UK it would be investigated by the AAIB, not the CAA. Is this just journalistic sloppiness ?

flybymike
22nd Oct 2008, 23:31
Those nose draggers always were a bit tricky to land....

IFMU
23rd Oct 2008, 01:51
The article cited there says "FAA to investigate". I thought the FAA was the equivalent of our CAA, and their equivalent of our AAIB is the NTSB.

In the UK it would be investigated by the AAIB, not the CAA. Is this just journalistic sloppiness ?

AMEandPPL,

You forgot that our media is the equivalent of your media!

-- IFMU

SkyHawk-N
23rd Oct 2008, 02:05
Originally Posted by IFMU
Originally Posted by AMEandPPL

AMEandPPL,

You forgot that our media is the equivalent of your media!

-- IFMU

Actually the media over in the USA are worse, but I get your point! ;)

scooter boy
23rd Oct 2008, 09:05
TCAS TCAS TCAS TCAS,

nuff said,
SB

effortless
23rd Oct 2008, 09:20
TCAS TCAS TCAS TCAS,

How much, How much, How much, Nuff said

yawningdog
23rd Oct 2008, 10:43
"Two prisoners were seen exiting the plane at the airport,"

What on earth is that supposed to imply? Were they prisoners before they left the plane, or after??

Oh dear, I ought to rethink my landing technique. I also land tail up!

AMEandPPL
23rd Oct 2008, 10:59
The explanation was just two lines above . . . . . . .

The second airplane, which was carrying two prisoners

vanHorck
23rd Oct 2008, 10:59
Are there no pictures available of the "upside down" landed plane?
Just curious.....

beatnik
23rd Oct 2008, 13:12
VanHorck - try this link for a pic
Crash Survivor: "All of a Sudden there was a Plane Headed for Us" / 11 News, Grand Junction's News Leader, Eleven Minutes of Non-Stop News, No-Wait Weather, Montrose News (http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/32498579.html)

flybymike - "nose dragger"?, looks more like a "nose puller" to me....:O

13thDuke
23rd Oct 2008, 13:34
Anyone else wondering whether one of the '2 prisoners' decided that he wasn't going to spend the next x years in prison?

Why on earth would you transport prisoners in a 210?

AMEandPPL
23rd Oct 2008, 13:41
they had no time for fear as they tightened there seatbelts and yelled obscenities

In that situation one could be forgiven for yelling almost ANYTHING at all !!

What a revelation that a Journalist, of all people, can't spell THEIR correctly :ugh:

flybymike
23rd Oct 2008, 16:56
The Americans can't spell all sorts of words properly, including "ambulence"

Katamarino
23rd Oct 2008, 18:34
"Why on earth would you transport prisoners in a 210?"

With the distances in the US, transporting prisoners by light aircraft is quite common - a lot of police departments have their own aircraft for it.

JEM60
23rd Oct 2008, 20:44
Bl...dy Hell.!!!! Of all the strange coincidences in the World!!!. I spent a week at Oshkosh Wisconsin last year in the company of Laura and Tom Haefeli. Lovely people. They had a Cessna 180, and we were offered shelter underneath it from a thunder storm on the first day, and remained friends with them throughout the week. Really glad they got away with it. He is a bee keeper, and his wife was in the US mountain running team for some time. They were really nice to us Brits.
I must assume that it can only be them, but if anyone has any other information as to wether or not it was someone different, could they please post. Cheers. John.

AMEandPPL
23rd Oct 2008, 20:49
With the distances in the US, transporting prisoners by light aircraft is quite common

I suppose they are less likely to try to open the door and jump to freedom than if they were in a car on the ground !

What's the betting that they try to sue for compensation for having such an unpleasant day ? And what's the betting that they'll get it ? ? ! !

JEM60
24th Oct 2008, 15:58
I have been in touch with Tome Haefeli by 'E' mail. His aircraft lost two thirds of it's vertical fin and rudder. He lost control for about ten seconds, but found that over 80mph it would fly straight forward about 20 degrees nose right, and 15degs. left wing low. It would not turn, and he said that he was fortunate to have a large clear are straight ahead to put it down in. He is a qualified Flying Instructor and obviously knows how to fly. I am looking forward to seeing him and his delightful wife at Oshkosh next year.