PDA

View Full Version : 20,000kg or above experiences

50cent
22nd Oct 2008, 02:16
hi everyone:

A quick question here if anyone have got the time..

I see many asian carriers have this 20,000 kg or above requirment on their websites, to recruite FO with no jet time...:}the only ones qualify for that probably would be ATR 72 and Q400s:ugh:

So just wondering...what happens to people with metro or king air time, would that be not good enough than a ATR FO? so would i be considered to fly an A320 if i only have metro time?

For sure ATR is bigger, have more toys to play with, a little more advanced systems, but at the end of the day, props are props, similler speeds, same domestic approaches... if anything, the advanced systems are making the pilots' job easier, so a metro might be more a hand full to handle. Not to direspect any bigger turbo prop boys, but just for the basics of it.

Does anyone have ideas about getting around this, or has anyone got rejected by airlines because they specificly stated the 20.000 kg or above requirement?

yeah, not many turbo props are above that weight, especaily some airlines are not even asking for PIC time on it, so an ATR FO will meet the requirement but a metro captain will miss out?

thanks for your time guys.

50c

Tacolegend
22nd Oct 2008, 02:23
It sucks right? I dont know if they will go around it or not. Having flown KA's and having over 1000 hours on a Q400 Im sorry to say it is a MUCH BIGGER diffrence than you might think. I don't know about a ATR but the Q acts more like a jet than a turboprop. I have no idea why they put that weight limit on it.

50cent
22nd Oct 2008, 02:36
thanks for that, i agree with u on the Q400.It is a lot more to it than just a turbo prop

what about others? its not like every airline can afford brand new 400, some older operator might have...i dont know, convair, F27. or even a Q300 is just under the 20,000kg mark.

i guess have to get another turbo prop job before applying for a jet then:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

MDT06
22nd Oct 2008, 03:39
True, the Dash 8-300 maximum take off weight is 19,505Kg. Would an airline turn you down because of 495 pounds..........

powerstall
22nd Oct 2008, 03:53
maybe you can ask them to round it off... :confused::ok:

DeltaT
22nd Oct 2008, 03:58
yup F27 is in the 20,000kg catagory, presume F50 too

MDT06
22nd Oct 2008, 04:37
Well, for the Dash 8-300 I could say that I had a couple of overweight passengers to make it to the 20,000Kg mark.....j/k

MDT

50cent
22nd Oct 2008, 04:56
Thanks guys

and i suppose the technical side things a side, our metro, J32, and king air guys are just not good enough, but do u guys think, that a F27 pilot can and able to apply to cathay for DEFO, where the metro guys only qualify for DESO?

not saying if thats the current case, but just according to their website, and at least cathay gives a SO option, where other asain carreirs wouldnt even let you touch their Airbus.

i suppose there is always the next step, buy a rating and do some jet time, then apply to the big boys again, if people dont wana fly props any more. not saying anything wrong with props, but its just the side way movement dont make you feel as good

Rotorhead1026
22nd Oct 2008, 08:02
Well, for the Dash 8-300 I could say that I had a couple of overweight passengers to make it to the 20,000Kg mark.....j/k

I calculate than a level flight 18 degree bank will bring you up to 20,000. Ask the employer if you can count your time in turns ... :)

Also, strictly speaking weight isn't measured in kg's - that's a unit of mass. 19,505 kg's is about 191,150 newtons. Maybe a prospective employer will buy that number. Or maybe he'll get so annoyed he'll throw you out on the street.

i guess have to get another turbo prop job before applying for a jet then

Seriously, it is a shame. So many obstacles. Imagine a freight dog type with a few thousand in a DC-6. Heavy enough, and more complex than any jet. Can't get an interview, though ... no turbine time! :*

I remember a joke from the 70's, where Neil Armstrong was being turned down for an airline job. Seems they were now requiring TWO lunar landings. Hang in there!

Tacolegend
22nd Oct 2008, 16:49
It was possible for a F27 guy to apply and get an interview for a DEFO position but that isn't the case anymore. Most SO applicants have 2000+ hours of jet time to be a SO. The reason you can't touch a bus is the fact that there are not any SO's for the bus. Im sure you knew that.

Kapt
22nd Oct 2008, 17:17
Don't forget the good old L-188 and the rice rocket YS-11 (55.111 lbs). I think there are still some with Asian Spirit. CV-580 still some around in the cargo bis, in the US and Canada. All turbin stuff.