PDA

View Full Version : Chc And Weak Canadian Dollar

rileyemi
21st Oct 2008, 14:41
Need some feelers from fellow CHC drivers, currently living anywhere but Canada. With the Canadian dollar sinking faster than the Titanic, what have you guys done? Having been with CHC since Jan this is the first time I am really taking a hit ($2000.00) on my last monthly paycheck. I'm sure CHC didn't compensate anyone for the weak dollar. Might need to get a second job while on time off.

:confused:

unstable load
21st Oct 2008, 15:26
Come and live in South Africa. As weak as the CAD/USD ratio is, I still got an increase this month with all the drivel our politicians are dishing out.:D

Seriously, though, maybe it's time our new owners changed us to USD with the same numbers behind the $ sign.........:E

Variable Load
21st Oct 2008, 15:34
Need some feelers from fellow CHC drivers, currently living anywhere but Canada. With the Canadian dollar sinking faster than the Titanic, what have you guys done? Having been with CHC since Jan this is the first time I am really taking a hit ($2000.00) on my last monthly paycheck. I'm sure CHC didn't compensate anyone for the weak dollar. Might need to get a second job while on time off.

Surely exchange rate fluctuations are something you should have taken into account when you considered joining CHC? The exchange rate is now back to where it was about 18 months ago. The rate you saw in January was a 30 year high against the US$, so probably not the benchmark you should be using ;)

MamaPut
21st Oct 2008, 19:13
VL,

You hit the nail on the head. I've spent many years working for companies which don't pay me in the currency of the country where I live. It's something you just have to accept. If you've decided to work away from where you live, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Visit a website such as Free Currency Converter (http://www.xe.com/) and you can also get free charts showing the major currency pairs over periods as long as 10 years. For instance after reading your post it took me just minutes to check and see that in October 10 years ago 1US$ got you 1.55 CAD, dropping as low as 1US$/1.61 CAD in January 2001 and it only dropped below parity in October of last year. I guess you just joined at the wrong time as it's now returning to more historical levels.

the delaminator
21st Oct 2008, 19:51
It's a two way street folks. Canadians getting paid in USD howled when the dollar went from 70 cents to par and above. Like the other guy said. If you live in a different country than the company you work for its just part of the deal.