PDA

View Full Version : IREX Question? Min holding speeds Cat B, Pls Help

MerlinV8
21st Oct 2008, 05:21
Someone gave me some RMIT IREX practice exams and one of the questions is as follows

An aircraft is holding at 3000' in the Epping holding pattern, What is the maximum IAS you may do without ATC approval in a Cat B aircraft?

A 170kt
B 230kt
C 240kt
D There is no limit

I answered B 230kt because in the AIP ENR 1.5 3.2.1 it says:

Indicated Airspeed must not exceed
1 up to and including FL140
-230kt or
-170kt for holding where the approach is limited to Cat A & B aircraft only

They at RMIT gave the answer being A 170kt, but I could only assume that they were talking about the Epping hold at Melbourne and there is no mention of this being restricted to Cat A & B only, therefore shouldn't it be 230kt?

Can someone shed some light

MerlinV8
21st Oct 2008, 08:53
Anyone? :bored:

DanArcher
21st Oct 2008, 09:14
Hi Merlin,

not being a melbourne person... I'm guessin it was for a ILS or VOR for 27?

in which case I'd say RMIT got it wrong..... kinda in the same way casa 'use to' get there answers wrong in exams.... :ugh:

as you said AIP ENR 1.5 3.2.1 point's to 230kts & the approaches aren;t limited to A&B cat and the only other possiblility would be for a note in the bottom right corner of the IAL but nothing there either (possibly may have been when question was written of course... lol)

MerlinV8
21st Oct 2008, 09:26
Yeah thanks,

I think I might give these practice exams a miss as they don't seem to be all that good, they were given to me by an instructor but appear to be badly written, I would have expected better from RMIT ......I am doing most of my study using Bob Taits book so I will stick to his revision questions.......I don't need to be anymore confused than I am at this stage of the game :\

Good to get a second opinion

Cheers :ok:

DanArcher
21st Oct 2008, 11:10
Have a look at the Aviation theory centre Irex book, personally I think they explain things in more detail making it easier to understand. and of course they also have a bunch more revision questions to make sure your upto speed for the irex
Bob tait books are great but more aimed at just passing the exam

just my 2 cents :8

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 09:45
Bob Tait's book says "See Aeropelican NSW for examples of procedures limited to Cat A & B only"

I can't find Aeropelican in the DAPs or ERSA? does anyone know of another approach that would have such an example?

And what happened to Aeropelican?

DanArcher
22nd Oct 2008, 10:01
try maitland YMND or coffs harbour YCFS

aeropelican lost it's ndb sometime ago, suprised it hasn't got a rnav approach as yet...

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 10:20
Thanks Dan!!

It seems obvious now but they simply leave the C & D minimas blank and put NOT APPLICABLE in there is that right, also at Coffs Harbour NDB RWY 03 in the notes they state "1, Max IAS Initial 140kts", is that after being in the hold at 170kts or less and then flying over the Initial Approach Fix and starting the approach..140kts is then the max....

Huge help
Cheers :ok: