PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Casey RN

im from uranus
21st Oct 2008, 04:41
Hi all,

I'm after any info on PO Kevin Casey, a crewman on Navy heli's. He was the first casualty of the Falklands war (according to ITN) and a cousin to my wife. He was killed in South Georgia early in 82.

Any pictures, stories, etc would be welcome.

Many thanks for your help!!

IFU

taxydual
21st Oct 2008, 08:14
BBC ON THIS DAY | 24 | 1982: First Briton dies in Falklands campaign (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/24/newsid_2940000/2940439.stm)

AFAIR, the Sea King ditched to the SW of Ascension and not South Georgia.

airborne_artist
21st Oct 2008, 08:23
He was with 846 at the time of his death. 846 is still operational, and based at Yeovilton. You could do worse than ring 01935 840551 and ask for the squadron. They may know who was the pilot on his last flight. You can then ring the FAAOA (http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/) and see if they have details for that person, or the office at the FAAOA may know anyway, perhaps.

I guess you knew his service no. was D136093W - it may be useful if you want to access official records.

taxydual
21st Oct 2008, 08:37
The pilot was an RAF Flt Lt.

Puzzlingly, there were only 2 in the crew, pilot and crewman, doing a night VERTREP. surely that wasn't the norm, was it?

cyclic gal
21st Oct 2008, 10:16
Hi

Try a note in the visitors book or forum on the aircrewmans association website. Some of the guys who sailed with him on that trip are members and I'm sure will help you out.

Aircrewmans Association (http://www.aircrewman.org.uk/)

I knew Kevin (or Ben as he was more commonly known) and sailed with the Task Force in 1982, though at the time I was seconded to 847 squadron as I was on a promotion course in Cornwall when it all kicked off.

Can't remember the make up of the crew on the night of the accident but the Sea King 4 is the only Sea King variant cleared to fly single pilot. The Aircrewmen were trained in engine management, operation of manual throttles etc.

Lower Hangar
22nd Oct 2008, 07:48
My recollection is that it was a Wessex 5 and it ditched astern the Hermes en route Ascension to South Atlantic

airborne_artist
22nd Oct 2008, 09:37
LH - it's not clear from this page whether 846 was still operating Wessex in early 82, but it does say that the squadron started converting onto the SK4 in late 79. Would they a) have taken two different types to the SA, or b) taken 18 months to complete the transition to the SK4?

History : 846 : Naval Air Squadrons : Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2345)

Trivia, but ISTR that that tranche of SK4 was originally destined for Egypt, but HMG withdrew their export licence, or am I dreaming?

taxydual
22nd Oct 2008, 10:20
The pilot of the ditched Seaking was certainly RAF. I served with the guy later when he made the transition to Chinooks.

airborne_artist
22nd Oct 2008, 10:23
TD - apologies - you are of course right, and I was wrong - the RAF connection is that at least one of the pilots was killed in the SAS Hermes-Intrepid crash, and he was RAF, whereas in the earlier SK4 crash the pilot escaped, but PO Casey did not. I've edited my post above.

taxydual
22nd Oct 2008, 11:21
AA

No apology neccesary or required.

Best Regards

TD

Spanish Waltzer
22nd Oct 2008, 15:08
cyclic gal,

A little off topic & trivial I know but for info...

the Sea King 4 is the only Sea King variant cleared to fly single pilot. The Aircrewmen were trained in engine management, operation of manual throttles etc.

...is not strictly true. All marks of RN & RAF sea king are cleared to fly single pilot as long as there is an appropriately trained crew member to operate the manual throttles etc. I believe the ASaC Mk 7 variant probably do more single pilot work than the Mk 4 these days.

cyclic gal
22nd Oct 2008, 17:01
I'e been out of the loop too long. Thanks for that.

846 operated SK4 in the Falklands. 845/7/8 operated Wessie 5's

Hardly Worth it
22nd Oct 2008, 18:26
Who wants to know about Ben ? I was about as close to him as anyone, still in contact with his wife too................

Feel free to PM me

im from uranus
24th Oct 2008, 10:01
Thanks to you all,
Hardly worth it... PM sent..
IFU

andyrose
21st Apr 2009, 02:41
Hello mate,

I was on 846 with Kev (we knew him as Ben). I was a PO Tiff at the time of the accident - in fact Ben slept in the bunk above me in the mess on HMS Hermes.

The aircraft was Victor Papa, Pilot was Sqn Ldr Bob Grundy.
The squadron was a close unit, and Kev was a well respected and liked by everyone.

It is a day that is probably seared in the memory of the whole squadron.
The aircraft had been moving stores between various ships in the fleet (vertreping - vertical replenishment). The aircraft was returning to pick up another pilot when the accident occurred. We only ever got the 2 stubwings and the floatation gear back - it was in deep water and it was not possible to carry out a full investigation of the wreckage.

There are theories (probably accurate) about what happened but no one could be certain. Maybe the other aircrew could give you more guidance.

The CO was Simon Thorniwell.

Regards

Andy

andyrose
21st Apr 2009, 02:47
By the time of the Falklands we had all SK 4 aircraft. We did operate both types for quite awhile - certainly several months but cannot remember when we had fully converted.

Andy

andyrose
21st Apr 2009, 02:54
I think you will find that both pilots escaped the SAS crash - Victor Tango. Paul Humphries and Brian Mason (I think). Corporal Mike (Doc) Love a marine aircrewman sadly died in that accident along with several of the specials.

Andy

Strictly Jungly
21st Apr 2009, 15:59
Andy Rose,
Great to hear from you again. If I remember correctly Ben died late Apr 82. I think Bob Grundy was a Flt Lt at the time. The aircraft was returning to HERMES, as you stated, however, one of the ships reported seeing a light in the water and the aircraft responded to the call. It was during this event the at the aircraft was lost.

I agree. A day that those who were there will never forget. You are also correct both RN pilots survived the VT crash. Certainly Paul Humphries, and I will try and remember the other pilot (getting old now!!!)

First Clockwork with Mk IV's was 81. Did a States trip later that year with 2 x Mk IV's so I believe we got rid of the W V's in 81.

Ben was a great bloke.

Hope all well with you,
Regards
SJ

ProfessionalStudent
21st Apr 2009, 17:06
This book is an account of Col Richard Hutchings' experience on 846 at the time. I'm reading it at the moment and it seems okay...

Special Forces Pilot (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Special-Forces-Pilot-Flying-Falkland/dp/1844158047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240333359&sr=8-1)

I know it has an account of the crash involving Ben Casey as I read it just the other day.

MAINJAFAD
21st Apr 2009, 21:03
TD - apologies - you are of course right, and I was wrong - the RAF connection is that at least one of the pilots was killed in the SAS Hermes-Intrepid crash, and he was RAF, whereas in the earlier SK4 crash the pilot escaped, but PO Casey did not. I've edited my post above.

The RAF pilot killed in that accident near Intrepid was Flt Lt G W Hawkins, and he was with the SF guys doing FAC duties.

im from uranus
22nd Apr 2009, 08:03
Thanks all again.

Bens wife has been in touch with us and on her recommendation we bought the book by Richard Hutchings. The book is dedicated to Ben and Doc Love. We found it a great read and very interesting. My wife would like to thank you all too for your posts on Ben, and she now has a clearer image of what actually happened.

im from uranus
23rd Apr 2009, 07:46
I've just been reminded by Mrs U that Ben was lost 27 years ago today.
RIP Ben.

pimrie
15th Jun 2009, 23:35
I was an aircrewman with Ben on Hermes in 1982. He and I were on deck at alert 5 for a RAS. The RAS ended and it was decided to go into a vertrep. I got out of the aircraft and Ben went off to start the vertrep. Soon afterwards it was decided that 2 aircraft were required and I got in the second one and went off to join in. The weather deteriorated and it was soon pitch black and a howling gale. Ben's aircraft decided to return for a second pilot but didn't make it back. They ditched in the sea for whatever reason. I remember Ben as a really nice fella. He always had a smile and joke for everyone. He was forever singing Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life!" I know we had only just seen it on a film, but with Ben you got the feeling that he was actually like that - always looking on the bright side of life, no matter what. RIP Ben.

PI