PDA

View Full Version : Living in KL

Winton10
20th Oct 2008, 21:01
As a newly qualified ATPL holder with just the minimum numbers of hours to my name I am keen to secure work (esp in the current market) just about anywhere. I have seen an opportunity (which I have to pay for of course) to get a type rating, some hours and much needed experience with AirAsia on their A320's. They are offering some form of 2nd officer salary after a given number of months, but my finances are far from limitless and after already being thousands in am very worried about laying aside more. One primary concern is the cost of living over in KL, the taxes, health insurance etc.
Can anyone help me with some rough numbers, or a direction to go in?

Many thanks.

Captain Stravaigin
22nd Oct 2008, 20:23
Life in KL is very in-expensive. Beer is about the same cost as in the UK but food, taxis, petrol, restaurants, rent, facilities costs etc are all considerably cheaper. Your money will go a long way. Health/dental facilities etc are excellent. Not sure on Health insurance costs - but I would guess very low.

Clothing costs are lower too - shorts and a shirt if casual. Office workers don't usually wear a jacket.

The climate is excellent, it scores badly on some ratings because of the high humidity - but I have never found that much of a problem.

The City is actually quite small (everything is built high) and getting around is fairly easy (apart from terrible road signage and maniacal drivers who have limited understanding of the basic rules of the road).

Lots of different languages around - but nearly everyone speaks basic English at least.

There are a host of interesting destinations (Islands of Tioman, Langkawi, Penang etc) within easy reach and Singapore, Angkor Wat and Thailand all close by too.

I live near Bangsar - which seems to be one of the favoured ex-pat areas - along with Sri Hartamas and Mont Kiara.

If you have any more specific questions please let me know.

Cheers

Winton10
22nd Oct 2008, 21:34
Thanks for the info. I have started looking into it mroe closely and will no doubt be quizzing more and more as things progress!

Cheers.

Winton10
30th Oct 2008, 09:10
What is the easiest way to get around in KL and surrounding area? Car, public transport, scooter?

Karl Bamforth
30th Oct 2008, 11:35
Any of the above really for transport. Scooter is cheap but kinda dangerous. Car gives flexibility but KL has some bad traffic problems, which of course affects public transport unless you use the monorail.

Regular coaches from the city to the airport at a reasonable cost.

Ohhhh BTW if you get out here to Lankawi beer is a lot cheaper :p.

I was out the other night with 3 friends food n 4 beers each came to less than 15 quid total. Will be a bit more in KL.

Captain Stravaigin
31st Oct 2008, 15:28
The easiest way round KL is Taxi - VERY cheap. Sadly they all go missing when it rains. Similarly when it rains Scooter/Motorbike is very unsafe. You cannot see what is on the road and you get soaked instantly. Not Fun.

Monorail is brilliant. Apart from the minor problem it doesn't really go anywhere you want to go to.

KLIA Ekspress is excellent. Fast, cheap and direct to the Airport from Sentral

LRT is good - more stations - but not necessarily going where you want to go.

Car is dry, safe (ish), and cheap too. Road signage is very poor. Roads (even motorways !) just disappear (eg the MEX northbound from PutraJaya). Most car parks are under cover so you need never get wet.

You cannot walk anywhere - the pavements are usually shot/missing etc.

I have seen the odd cyclist - the last one was battling hard up a hill and in trouble with the traffic - very dangerous. I thought this guy has to be a Brit !! I met him 2 weeks later in a bar - he was a Brit !

Sultan Ismail
3rd Nov 2008, 00:42
Residential areas in KL

The areas suggested above Bangsar, Sri Hartamas and Mont Kiara demand the use of a car, particulary the last 2, and then you will have to fight the appaling traffic jams as a result of the essential necessity for a car.

A good choice is the centre of KL in the Bukit Ceylon area, no need for a car, or bicycle, everything is within 10 minutes walk, including the mono rail to KL Sentral Station from where you have a good choice of public transport.
Rentals here are cheaper than the ex-pat areas.

An alternative is Sentul where a local company has invested heavily in what was once the railway suburb (railway sheds, wrong side of the tracks, that sort of thing) of KL, a bit of stigma attached for oldtimers and locals, but very good value in new condominium accomodation and a railway station within a couple of minutes walk which will get you to KL Sentral in 5 minutes for the princely sum of RM 1 (one Ringgit which equates to 15 Pence).

As stated earlier taxis are the way to go when need arises, plentiful and cheap.

Cost of living is cheap and variety of cuisine incredible, all tastes and all price levels. Give an example, last night I went to a Malay restaurant for a Nasi (rice) Bhiriani and fried chicken, which came with a bowl of chicken gravy/broth, spicy vegetables and 2 cups of coffee (I was thirsty). I was bloated at the end on RM12 (2 pounds sterling).

Many locals would say that's expensive!

As hinted by others motorcycles are lethal weapons, stay away from them both on the road and off!

I came on a short business trip fifteen years ago, and never left.