PDA

View Full Version : PPL - Basic Knowledge Requirements

Flyboyintraining
20th Oct 2008, 20:15
Hi,

I started PPL training back in April this year, with the aim of having 1-2 lessons a month. I have about 7 hours logged now. As I'm only 14, I still have a bit to go in school, but I'd like a rough idea of how much basic knowledge you need for the PPL theory tests i.e what kind of maths stuff do you need? e.t.c

Also, looking further ahead (A long way away, I know) at ATPL stuff, do you need really good levels of maths and physics understanding? At school, I'm doing my maths exams a year early, however I'm unsure as to the outcome. Would I still be in good light if I get a 2/B?

As I've been reading, the job situation doesn't look good at the minute, however I can't fly for an airline for at LEAST another 7 years (as is my understanding). Is the market likely to improve whilst I'm training?

Alot of questions I know, but your help is much appreciated.

Whirlygig
20th Oct 2008, 20:21
You don't need the maths and physics but a good understanding of those subject would certainly make your life easier. Search this forum for previous topics and the topics covered in ATPL. If you are taking maths a year early, I would assume that you're reasonably good at it so you shouldn't have a problem.

A lot can happen to the job market in seven years so you could be well placed. The rotary job market tends to operate in 7 year cycles but I can't speak for the airline industry although the two are linked.

Cheers

Whirls