PDA

View Full Version : NCAITC questions

jacknife84
20th Oct 2008, 19:13
Alright lads, I'm applying for wsop and just trying to find out a few things about the NCAITC. I've heard the phys is quite savage and the inspections are fairly tough - if anyones been through it lately I'd really appreciate a bit of info on the fitness and inspection standards required.

Thanks

SidHolding
20th Oct 2008, 19:49
Hi jacknife84. I don't often post on here but as your query has only been replied to by some prick I'll offer this......

ITC is tough, especially physically. I went through ITC when I was 19 and was surprised at the fitness required. I'd suggest training with someone else, preferably someone fitter than you who will push you hard, as you'll be pushed all the way through the course. A friend of mine was a Flt Cdr on ITC until recently and happily informs me the standards have not dropped.

For what it's worth I've done ITC and IOT, my missus (and several friends) have done Halton/Swinderby, ITC and IOT. We're all in agreement that ITC is by far the toughest.

Good Luck,

Sid. :ok:

Tiger_mate
20th Oct 2008, 19:54
It has been decades since I did ITC but I would expect the course objectives to be as valid today as they were then. Firstly the Leadership elements are strenuous for the real character of an individual is best seen when he/she is under stress and outside of their comfort zone. Equally, if you are going to subject somebody to this, then you cannot impose it upon them without prior preparation in the fitness department. Boots need to be worn in rather then the inevitable blisters if they are not. What I am getting at is that there is a purpose for everything that they do that will not be obvious unless you look at it off piste, or the bigger picture.

Motivation of the right individual will not decay when challenged. As a mentor on the hills one sunny day, I asked an ITC student if he thought about the light at the end of the tunnel (aircraft type) whilst yomping up the hills: The answer he gave was that all his thoughts were on the next step. This I can understand.

As a propective student, I ran 5 miles every day for weeks on end. It wasnt enough, for whilst I got through first time. it was not an easy task physically. The bull**** is a mind game that you can beat by determination alone. One thing for sure, you will grow up regardless of how old you are.

The nausea (at times literally) is a price worth paying.

PFMG
20th Oct 2008, 20:05
Not sure how tough it is but I bet it isn't as hard as it used to be :E :} :E

charliegolf
20th Oct 2008, 21:26
As a teaching tool, we were told to write a diary each night, in a given service writing style. At around the third week and near death from pine poles, the triangle and the range hill, some of us got together and started slipping in little references about how the PE was getting a bit easy. Oh how we paid. Fittest i have ever been though.

CG

jacknife84
20th Oct 2008, 21:30
Thanks for your responses! ITC sounds nails, I'm not unfit at the moment but it sounds like I better starting ramping up the phys and beast myself up and down a few hills. Am I right in thinking they would be looking for a 1.5 mile time of less than 9.30?

timrob1
21st Oct 2008, 04:39
I've been considering WSOp for quite a while now and am worried about the phys levels expected at NCAITC. I know the Levels we HAVE to meet. But anyone have an idea about what would be a realistic ideal level to be able to reach/train to?

I just mean, no point in training to JUST meet the required times. As I've done Halton before and it was very clear, generally the fitter you were the better overall you were.

moosemaster
21st Oct 2008, 06:52
Same applies timrob1.

The fitter the better. That said, don't expect an easier ride because you are fitter. The whole process is designed to stretch you physically so that you can be stretched mentally.

The fitter you are, the more you will be made to do in order to get you to that point of physical exhaustion.

Whatever your level of fitness, you WILL be exhausted by the end of the exercises. That I can promise you.

Joe Black
21st Oct 2008, 11:26
Went through the ITC around five or so years ago as a Direct entrant. Looking back, I would say I was in good shape prior to the commencement of the course, however, in hindsight I would have pushed myself that little bit harder. The fitter you are, the easier it will be - no matter how fit you are, the staff will push you to your point of duress!

I don't know what the set up is now but prior to the course and also at the beginning we had to complete the bleep test - aim to get above level 12 if you are <25, level 11 if 25-31. In terms of the 1.5 miles - I was 21 when I started the course and at the start of the course my time was 9:00 and by the end I was doing 8:05.

If you de get in, PM for any other info as there are lots of useful tips that can make life easier.

Joe:ok:

Whaaa newark
21st Oct 2008, 13:09
The simple answer is that the fitter you are the easier ITC is, although fitness is by no means the be all and end all of the course. However, the actual PE lessons were really good for several reasons:

1. The lessons are a means to an end - one of these is to make the hill phase easier, the P'ed staff do a very good job in achieving this.

2. They are a release from the class room, you will spend most of your time in a classroom of one sort or another using your brain to the max. Therefore when you are in the gym or out running you can switch off (to a certain extent) and just concentrate on the physical side of things and give your brain a rest.

3. The lessons are an opportunity to demonstrate your teamwork and leadership skills in a practical environment. Remember everything you do while on ITC is watched and assessed!

Don't listen to horror stories about the phys on ITC, it is hard but it isn't the torture that is sometimes portrayed as.

No Whaaa

ALM In Waiting
21st Oct 2008, 20:03
Thanks for your responses! ITC sounds nails, I'm not unfit at the moment but it sounds like I better starting ramping up the phys and beast myself up and down a few hills. Am I right in thinking they would be looking for a 1.5 mile time of less than 9.30?

10.30 is a pass for the mile and a half. Bergen work in boots would also be good training for the loads you will carry. The fitter you are when you arrive, the more capacity you will have left when others are still trying to recover from the 'transits'.

camelspyyder
21st Oct 2008, 21:01
Writing as a Cranwell resident with an ear to the ground, if you can do one-and-a-half in 9:30 you will beat 95% of the ITC course currently in training!

timrob1
21st Oct 2008, 21:29
Thank you guys, exactly what I wanted to hear :ok:

Charlie Luncher
21st Oct 2008, 22:01
Being fit will help loads and you need to be able to pass the bleep test above what is expected of you. The most important thing is that you commit yourself wholly to achieving a pass on the course for you and your future crew mates. Those that cruised and were jack on the rest of the course either got chopped or recoursed. Those that went around again did not find it easier as more was expected of them. Harden your feet, learn how to strap well and get some good insoles with cushioning as you will be on your feet a lot.:ok:
And it was harder in my day as we had a nutter of a DS called Danny who liked to go running after a day in the hills, not mention dear old Rod who would ride along side you on his bike taking the piss. The canal run still makes me shiver but the WAAFs in the rugby Club always warmed me up.:D
Charlie sends
took me 10 years before I went up a hill again:sad:

DFM
21st Oct 2008, 23:04
It sounds like you cruised through the fizz Charlie...........you must have cut a fine figure in those days..............cmon, be honest. And after 20 years you went to the flattest place on Earth..........must have hurt a lot!
x :E

Charlie Luncher
22nd Oct 2008, 22:22
DFM tis true matey, played on the flanks before and during Finningley. After a short spell in maritime on 236 teamed with DT came the inevitable move to the front row. That was before the SAR stickies and numerous DFM's and late night curries. Having flown over the GAFA a few times it has discouraged me from entering the countryside again, add to that something will want to eat, sting, bash or generally try to kill me helps.
Keep safe
Charlie sends
From a chilly 27c able to see the hills from my G&T day bed!:p

DFM
23rd Oct 2008, 22:25
I s'pose the G+T is to stop the mossies biting at the lakeside property...........
Hope you are keeping well and the desert (the other one) is a long way off coming around again.
How soon before the move East?
Fly safe x :E

Charlie Luncher
25th Oct 2008, 02:55
That is why I drink the gin to keep the mozzies at bay the zapper just adds a nice blue light!:bored:
The cunning plan is another run to the sandpit and then off to shine my ample arse behind a desk for a break. It is a while away and much may or may not change as always the plans are set in warm ooze:ugh:.
How are things with you, keeping out of trouble?:ouch:
Charlie sends

ScufferEng
25th Oct 2008, 07:37
I did three, yes three of the B*****D ITC's (I was injured on first and crap on the second) some 19 years ago and I am still here,( well on terminal leave), the key is how much do you want to become a Wsop? Your mental strength will see you through the tough bits. Top tip, make sure your boots are FULLY worn in and comfortable.

good luck

DFM
26th Oct 2008, 19:37
Charlie,
All go of late. Sandpit time to a minimum, quality flying back in blighty keeping some of your muckers gainfully employed and a few nice dets on the horizon. New nignog getting closer (by the year) and life is good. Pity about the poss move East, thought you might be interested in some real flying on exchange at ISK next year? x :E