PDA

View Full Version : BA - LCY to JFK?

CJ1234
20th Oct 2008, 14:07
Looking at Wikipedia, which we know to be infamously erroneous on many details, I saw an article saying that BA plan to buy an A318 for a flight from London City to New York.

Firstly - can you get an A318 with that kind of range?
Secondly - can it be true?:eek:
Thirdly - will these A318s be part of BA Mainline or the Connect/Flybe alliance?

Cheers folks

clipstone1
20th Oct 2008, 14:11
outbound it'll tech stop in shannon.....inbound its non-stop.....with only 30 or 40 club seats it can do that range

believe mainline eurofleet, for fleet commonality with 319/320/321

Currock Base
20th Oct 2008, 14:17
The LCY - JFK will stop at Shannon Westbound for fuel and to clear US immigation. Eastbound it will be non stop.

Yes it is happening, the 318s are on order.

I believe this is a mainline operation with Airbus pilots specially trained for the steep approach into LCY.

CB

raffele
20th Oct 2008, 15:11
Take a look in the Cabin Crew forum - there has been a long discussion regarding crewing and technicalities behind the venture.

The 318's are going to be part of the mainline fleet, will operate Club World only, using Gatwick based crew I think, and yes - non-stop inbound, stops at Shannon outbound for refuelling and immigration pre-clearance

Swedish Steve
20th Oct 2008, 15:20
Airbus pilots specially trained for the steep approach into LCY.

Anyone know how BA are going to do this? Last I heard there is no A318 simulator with the LCY approach mod fitted.

Skipness One Echo
20th Oct 2008, 16:30
One imagines they will fit one.........

apaddyinuk
20th Oct 2008, 20:33
Sure hasnt the A318 already been certified for LCY? They ran a number of trials a year or so ago.

But yes, BA have been much publicising this launch for the last year. Now whether or not there may be a rethink if the economy collapses much further is another thing.

BA intend on operating the flight west bound via SNN where customers will be able to preclear US Immigration and customs. The return sector will be non-stop!

drivez
20th Oct 2008, 20:56
BA might actually be thinking quite cleverly. Flying a transatlatic flight from an airport in the middle of London, which would allow the CEO's and whatnot in the city to have an hour in work before catching their flight to New York for a meeting.

If it's all clubseats they must be aiming at the buisness market, and in these economic difficulties flying for the general public will be limited due to a lack of spare cash. However buisnesses will still need to fly their managers and workers to different offices and factories.

So they may find this to be quite a lucrative idea. Hopefully anyway...