PDA

View Full Version : Aussie IREX, any tips appreciated

MerlinV8
20th Oct 2008, 04:38
Hi Guys,

I'm self studing for my IREX using the Bob Tait book and its going pretty well except that occasionaly I can't figure out why some things are done certain ways, for example why when working out LSALT tolerance areas do we have to add 5nm around the boundary? I can understand a 5nm buffer area being imposed around an aid for departure and arrival, but is it necessary all the way out to 50nm and the continuing along parallel along the FPT? after all isn't the 50nm a buffer in itself?

I'm sure I will have other questions as I continue to study but any other known tips would be appreciated.:O
Thanks

PLovett
20th Oct 2008, 05:13
Somethings in CASAland are inexplicable, such as a buffer on top of a buffer.

The best advice I can give for IREX is to read the effing questions very, very carefully. I cannot remember in a life-time of exams ever coming across such a set of questions where so much depended on the exact form of words used in the question.

Never, never assume that the question looks like one you have seen before. Read it carefully, read it again and then read it once more to be sure.

I probably sound paranoid given that I passed the exam at the first attempt and passed it reasonably well but that may not have been the case had I not had time to check some of the questions and found two that I would have got wrong because I assumed instead of reading carefully. All the best with them anyway.

MerlinV8
20th Oct 2008, 05:42
Thanks! :ok:

I've read through the Bob Tait book now and things are starting to sink in and fall into place which is good, but the noobs at CASA have me wondering sometimes if I'm missing some vital peice of infomation which will trip me up later, most of my questions now are more why are they doing it like that? rather than how do I work this out, going back to tolerance area's, where did they come up with 10.3 degrees either side of track? I mean why not just make it 10 degrees?

If there is no aid they made it a nice round 15 degrees! I guess it makes little differance to me actually sitting the exam so long as I know what they want but still you have to wonder sometimes :ugh: by the way I actually pulled out a map and protractor to play around with doing tolerance areas in practical terms and even the WAC is almost to small to plot distance's that you would use 50nm either side of FPT, also it is impossible to pencil mark 10.3 degress on the protractor so your average pilot will never acheive this kind of accuracy, ok I'm having a whinge now, its been a long day! thanks for your advice :ok:

ReverseFlight
20th Oct 2008, 11:03
I too used Bob Tait which is probably the best self-study book on the market.

I never questioned CASA's rules and so 10.3 degrees and 5 nm buffers will get you the correct answer. You will find the highest spot heights well within the boundaries of the zone rather than sitting right on it.

I had two questions in the exam on alternate requirements and both had lengthy and complicated TAFs. Although I concluded neither had any alternate requirement (fluke or fault ?), I doubted my own judgment at the time but was really glad I changed neither answer !

Such is the nature of our beloved IREX.

MerlinV8
20th Oct 2008, 12:03
Yeah, I am finding the best way for me is to just keep reading the part on alternates over and over, everytime I remember a little bit more and I think I'm just about there, infact I have got hold of some cyber practice exams so I will have a go at them this week and see how I go.

But I agree the Bob Tait book has been good and as far as the other stuff in the exam goes I think BT explains it really well, I would have done a full time course but they are a bit expensive and finding one that is running at the same time that I'm free has been diffulcult.

The only thing that I feel that I am missing out on is those little bits of feedback instructors give, and tips you pick up from Q&A time in the classroom, there's always another student that asks a question you never thought of that ends up being a benefit to all, hence why I started this post.

I don't know if others have done this but I found a few hours on MS Flight simulator flying NDBs VORs etc extremely helpful in just getting my head around the nav aids, relative bearing and intercepts etc.

Cheers