PDA

View Full Version : PPL training across the pond

G CEXO
19th Oct 2008, 19:04
Guys, having taken 5 PPL exams and wanting to start PPL training in order to have the lovely PPL booklet in my hand by February, I have come to a really confusing T junction. I can either go off to stapleford and cross my fingers, legs and my two testicles to be done by february flying 3 days a week :} or I can go to the states somewhere like OBA and get it done in 3 weeks.

It's more than natural to take the latter route how ever I am equally worried by the instruction I recieve and the ability to fly within the UK airspace once back from there.

My question is:

1. Will I really be able to finish the PPL within 3 weeks as I will be taking time off fom work and will need to provide notice.

2. Seriously, how good is the instruction at say somewhere like OBA? Is it as good as UK flight schools?

3. Will I really be Competent enough to fly within UK airspace?

This is a really important decision for me as I am looking into starting ATPL's in march and would like my basic training to be thorough with a good foundation.

G-XO

sternone
20th Oct 2008, 03:39
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/278995-guide-obtaining-jaa-ppl-us-part-1-a.html

BackPacker
20th Oct 2008, 09:15
If you're going for your ATPLs you can even consider getting an FAA PPL. Within limits this will allow you to fly a G-reg within the UK anyway, and for your JAA CPL, *any* ICAO PPL (including an FAA PPL) is good enough.

1. This mainly depends on the weather and personal ability. Make sure you have the ability to extend with a few days if required.

2. It can be better, it can be worse. Depends on the comparison. It will be good enough to obtain your PPL though, and after that it's up to you to learn to fly properly. Your PPL is a license to learn, after all.

3. No you will not be. But if you go for a one-to-two hour flight with an instructor in the UK and expand on that slowly, you will have no trouble adapting.

Mickey Kaye
20th Oct 2008, 10:09
Go to the states without question. And while you are there or perhaps at another time complete you 300nm cross country, 100 hours PIC and also an IR which you can instantly convert to an IMC.

And having flown in LA, Las Vagus as well as florida I would say the first two are much more intersting to fly in and the weather is better.

I felt the most compitent at flying immediatly after I returned from the states largley because I had been flying 3 hours a day for the previus week. When I did flying in the UK I often felt I took a two steps forwards and then the weather would mean I didn't fly for a few days which resulted in me taking a step back.