PDA

View Full Version : After PPL?

CptNobodyAsYet
18th Oct 2008, 14:59
Hi there,

Was wondering how you go about hiring aircraft after you have your PPL issued.

Must be exciting to know that after you have received your PPL your free to hire aircraft or if you have the cash and a good income be able to get a share in an aircraft.

My main question is this:

Cessna 152 from a flying club cost around £100 an hour 'ish' to hire.

What if i wanted to fly, lets say SOUTHEND to FRANCE somewhere, for example it takes 1h30m to fly there, then 1h30m to fly back, that is 3 hours total.

3 Hours = £300 in hire costs,

But what if i wanted to stay in france for 2 hours after i have landed (no flying, just chilling etc),

do i have to pay for them non flying hours at £100 per hour.

Meaning my flight would of cost £500 to france????

If thats the case, then im sure i would love the flying there, but i really wouldnt be able to fly much coz id be skint all the time.

Do you not get a 'non flying' hourly rate?

Can someone please clear this up for me, as pleasure flights are beginning to seem to be all flying (im fine with that) but no time to chill for a little bit before flying back coz chill time costs £100 for your 'toilet and lunch stop'

Wow thats expensive.

Anyone flew to france before at their own costs?

jxc
18th Oct 2008, 19:37
HI

You only pay for the actuall flying time brakes off to brakes on then chill then brakes off to brakes on again so only charged for 3hrs

Cheers

JXC

Shunter
18th Oct 2008, 20:08
Different places, different rules. My local FTO charges airborne -10/+5. So if you took off at say 13:10, and landed at 13:55, you would be billed for an hour. Some charge only airborne time. Some use stupid Hobbs meters, some use tacho. Almost none will charge you for time spent on the ground during a landaway, but they may insist on a minimum charge depending on how long the aircraft is away from base due to their potentially losing money.

Whirlygig
18th Oct 2008, 22:30
Some schools may offer a daily or half-daily rate with a lower flying hour rate for people who want to self fly hire for say, a day or weekend. It does depend on the school so you need to ask the question.

Cheers

Whirls

Rj111
18th Oct 2008, 22:44
When you're hour building for your IR/CPL do they care about how many t/o or landings you do?

Shunter
19th Oct 2008, 06:01
No, they don't care. The only time they care is in regard to your CPL QXC, which must be a 300nm jaunt with full stop landings made at 2 airfields other than your point of departure.

corsair
19th Oct 2008, 13:05
:rolleyes:I'd love to be able to hire out aircraft to people and charge them for the time it isn't flying. At £100 an hour. I could earn £2,400 for an overnight stay. £16,800 for a week. Brilliant:ok: Get rich quick!

Sadly :{ it can't be done. The best you can do is ask for a minimum charge.