PDA

View Full Version : Missing 4%?

Hockham Admiral
17th Oct 2008, 10:10
Just heard on Radio 4 that women may fill 96% of Royal Air Force jobs... what are the 4% they can't do? (BTW it also said that the Army figure is 40%...)

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 10:13
Regt and RC chaplain.

strek
17th Oct 2008, 10:33
RC Chaplain - :D

Green Flash
17th Oct 2008, 11:17
Er, you say Regt, but I met a friends daughter who was on a Rock Field Sqn (sandpit) a year or two ago. She was the Squintess and more decent, pleasant and capable young lady you couldn't want to meet.:ok:

Melchett01
17th Oct 2008, 11:30
Flash - yes, the Int lot will send female SqIntOs to Regt sqns, but they are still Int not Regt. It's a bit like the Army sending female Admin / Logs etc types to the Infantry. Whilst they won't be involved in closing with the enemy etc, it's still a fairly punchy side of things especially as they can still go out on the ground with the Sqn.

However, I do believe that the Oggies have female Gunners ...... can you imagine what an all female Rock Sqn would be like ? Once a month absolutely unstoppable; would make shock troops look like a bunch of nancies. Rest of the month though .... cam netting repainted a nice shade of lilac, Landrovers dinged backing into parking bays :E

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 11:47
Green Flash

There are many girls working at Honnington in a variety of positions. Decent, pleasant and capable. But they're not in the RAF Regiment. I'm not getting precious here. I'm not a rock. I was trying to answer the initial question.

philrigger
17th Oct 2008, 12:31
talk shy tal knight

There are many girls working at Honnington in a variety of positions.

No wonder the Rocks like it there !!

:rolleyes:

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 12:39
Occured to me when I was typing it. Decided it worked on more than one level.

I'm here all week.

Wader2
17th Oct 2008, 12:45
Male Nurse?

You should have seen the great hairy brute that approached me with a teeny weeny little bic razor in his paw. I was quite relieved when he gave me the razor.

Gnd
17th Oct 2008, 13:26
Driving instructors or AOC valet parking attendant??

Green Flash
17th Oct 2008, 13:36
'Ang on chaps, I'm not saying she was a fully fledged Rock, I knew she was of the Int persuasion! Thinking about it, there must be plenty of girls who get dammed close (closer than me!) to the action despite not being in a recognised combat role. MERT's, Int's, CAS/SH/AT crews, FARP teams etc etc; in fact just about every trade going! Respect.

Whichever way you do your buttons up(!) - stay safe, stay happy and come home. BZ's to the lot of you.:ok:

philrigger
17th Oct 2008, 13:59
;)

It may not be policy but I have never seen an RAF Firelady.

- Or are fire-fighters still a part of the RAF Regt ?

mystic_meg
17th Oct 2008, 14:07
RC Chaplain

..is that because - unlike RC Chaplains - females don't take it up the a*se? :E

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 14:26
Firefighter is part of the Force Protection Trade Group (as is Regt). However, whereas dorisses can apply to be firebirds, they cannot apply to be rocks.

airborne_artist
17th Oct 2008, 14:34
whereas as dorisses

Confusingly, the plural of doris is dori :}

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 14:51
Why isn't it peni then?

wg13_dummy
17th Oct 2008, 15:05
Why isn't it peni then?

I've never had to deal with more than one so I wouldn't know.

talk_shy_tall_knight
17th Oct 2008, 15:12
Whoah, bit overdefensive there wg13.

Wensleydale
17th Oct 2008, 17:39
There we were a good few years ago during our operations in the Adriatic, waiting in an Italian Hotel Car Park for a box van to ferry our luggage back to the airfield for our return to the UK. The baggage van duly arrived driven by a female policewoman (yes all policewomen are female). After several offers to reverse the van into the car park (it was a tight squeeze down a winding drive) the said police woman climbed purposefully into the cab and started reversing. Fifteen minutes later and the van was still wedged across the flower bed where she had placed it to much applause.
Tears ensued until a kindly chap coxed her out of the cab and put the van where it was supposed to be.

Sadly we were shopped to our OC Sqn by our US Navy Exchange Officer (Sir I have a duty to report a misdemeanour etc) who was probably still brainwashed after the "Tail Hook" escapade. It was entertaining at the time though it cost us a bunch of flowers (patronising or what)?

Yes, they can do 96% of the jobs, but..... :E

Memories of the otto.

Airborne Aircrew
17th Oct 2008, 18:07
females don't take it up the a*se?Madam, that's a pretty broad generalization that is obviously based on your personal preferences... I can assure you that while you might not be alone you are not, by any means, speaking for all of your gender... allegedly... :E

exscribbler
17th Oct 2008, 21:32
Wensleydale: One C130 crew = one 7.5 tonne box van for luggage? Travelling light were you? :E

Green Flash
17th Oct 2008, 22:07
It may not be policy but I have never seen an RAF Firelady

Is/was at least one with the Kipper Bombers.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
18th Oct 2008, 09:41
Green Flash

Philrigger

It may not be policy but I have never seen an RAF Firelady

Green Flash
Is/was at least one with the Kipper Bombers.

So, was she a service firelady or a civilian ?

If she was RAF; are the fire service still part of the RAF Regiment ?

Back to sleep now.

earswentpop
18th Oct 2008, 10:17
... I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Any more?

Doors Off
18th Oct 2008, 13:33
Have a Vasectomy? :uhoh:provided through the mil health system and quite a percentage of us have them:{, dare say more than 4% of HM Forces?:\

Green Flash
18th Oct 2008, 17:17
Aaron

I far as I am aware she was an RAF Firefighter; not civvy, RAF. Don't know if she was a Rockette (sorry!). Don't have first hand knowledge of her (fnarr) so I may be talking complete and utter b0ll0kz, not an unknown occurance. Perchance someone in Kipper Bomber land could verify?

Wensleydale
18th Oct 2008, 17:30
Exscribbler,

Hotel in Italy plus flight home equals lots of cases of red wine. One doesn't have access to a local vinyard plus own aircraft then buy it in Tescos! Arrive light, then travel home heavy. At least we had the allowances to do it 10-15 years ago. :ok:

QED.

W:p

serf
19th Oct 2008, 11:35
The Firebirds had a few though!