PDA

View Full Version : VS upper class seating to SFO

16th Oct 2008, 20:54
I'm shortly flying Virgin upper class to SFO (flying club ticket, not paid for by me), and I've a question regarding the seating layout on the 747.

They have upper class on the top deck, (rows 1-11) and also at the front of the lower deck (rows 12-25).
The upper deck seats are almost all prebooked, whilst the lower deck ones are almost empty.

Is there any particular reason why pax who are "in the know", would prefer the upper deck?. Are the top deck seats or the layout better than the lower ones.
I'm not at all fussed which one I get, it just made me wonder why the difference.

Lindstrim
16th Oct 2008, 21:05
Probably because when you fly on the upper deck of the 747 its like your own private jet. Very little noise and only a small number of you up there.

I havent been on a VS upper deck but have done Sydney to LHR and back on a QF one, and loved every second of it.

raffele
16th Oct 2008, 21:05
I don't know specifically about VS, but the upper deck on the 747 is renowned for being quieter, "cosier" and with more storage for your carry on!

Have a look at the info on Seatguru... General Information for Virgin Atlantic (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Virgin_Atlantic_Airways/information.php)

PAXboy
16th Oct 2008, 22:12
They are right, upstairs is best. However, for your first trip in Upper, downstairs is a fun place to be and the bar is usually a good place to find interesting people to chat to (or boring ones to avoid). You will doubtless enjoy your trip. I still recall my first trip in UC from (thinks) October 1986 and the seats were just large 'Club' seats in those days. Then the introduction of personal video players and a library of tapes ... yes, those were the pioneer days. :p

Some years ago, SAA used the upper deck on theirs for Y and that was a real bargain.