PDA

View Full Version : Base reorganisation and disposal list

Razor61
16th Oct 2008, 15:15
Thought this might be interesting to someone on here.
Plans for all the forces within the UK from 2008 onwards.

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/dedp/DEDP_Annex_C.pdf

8-15fromOdium
16th Oct 2008, 15:41
I didn't think that the 'Defence Airfields Review' had reported yet?
Have I missed something?

Razor61
16th Oct 2008, 15:58
Why have they annotated RAF Honington as a "Main Flying Base".
This is also listed as such right up to 2030.

Note during the period of 2018 to 2030 the RAF have listed on the map as only 6 main flying bases (discounting Honington). This obviously discounts the main training bases (Valley etc) but it is shrinking to the point we will only have a handful of operational flying stations.

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/dedp/DEDP_Annex_B.pdf also shows the current 2008-??? disposal list of all forces in the UK and elsewhere.

Top Right
16th Oct 2008, 16:00
Beadwindow?

NutLoose
16th Oct 2008, 16:13
I would have thought the whole RAF would be eventually accomodated on one of the new Carriers that will no doubt get cancelled :p

Or perhaps move it all to Raf Brize Norton, sell the rest off for landfill then have a Scotland Yard type signage outside the main gate that has Welcome to RAF Honington, Welcome to RAF Cottesmore, Welcome to RAF Coningsby etc on each facet, that way you save money AND look like we have more than we do....... Just like Squadron numbering..... Heck you do not even have to power it, a treadmill in the Guardroom for the off duty guards should do fine.:E

RETDPI
16th Oct 2008, 16:55
Lyons Area?????? ( i.e. South East England)
Anybody care to enlighten one of the non-cogniscenti as to the derivation of this particular piece of obfuscatory drivel?

Razor61
16th Oct 2008, 17:10
http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/dedp/DEDP_Annex_D.pdf shows the glossary of terms (Belvedere, Lyons etc).
For Lyons:-
The Lyons Review
A review carried out by Sir Michael Lyon looking to rebalance civil service posts out of
South and South East England to other regions.

8-15fromOdium
16th Oct 2008, 17:16
The main paper for this is at the Defence Estates website at: http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/dedp/DEDP_08_Main_Paper.pdf

There is nothing new in the document that hasn't been in the national press or trialled on here. Couple of highlights:

Centralised Air Transport and Air to Air Refuelling Assets (CATARA). Development of RAF Brize Norton as the prime Defence Air Port of Embarkation and the Air Transport and Air to Air Refuelling hub is underway. This should allow the closure of RAF Lyneham in 2012 for re-use by BELVEDERE or disposal.

and

The Red Arrows. Minister agreed6 that the optimum basing solution was to base the Red Arrows at RAF Waddington, while retaining the current arrangements for the use of the Reserved Airspace above RAF Scampton. The move is to be complete by Jul 11.

As for the Lyons area, its from a report (dated 2004) available at The Lyons Review - HM Treasury (http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/the_lyons_review.htm) which the DE paper states:

The Lyons Review should see the migration of some 3,900 Service personnel out of the South and South East by 2010

Wasn't this from an episode of Yes Prime Minister?

Pontius Navigator
16th Oct 2008, 17:24
I didn't think that the 'Defence Airfields Review' had reported yet?
Have I missed something?

Not at all. Th eone is by the people who think they run things. The other is by people who do run things.

Nice to see, in writing, what I heard from the boss only 2 weeks ago, that we are a core site.

RETDPI
16th Oct 2008, 17:35
Wasn't this from an episode of Yes Prime Minister?

I feared it was the same. Nothing new there then.

So obviously the report would only have cost a token admin fee, wouldn't it?

TheInquisitor
16th Oct 2008, 19:53
Odd to see how all 3 Jockinese main bases survive unscathed...surely there must be a case for amalgamating Lossie and Kinloss to save cash. I'm sure the AD fleet would fit somewhere in there as well, given that there is a presumed need for AD up North.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the heritage of the One-Eyed Nostril Miner and several of his ministers, would it now?

Reds at Waddo? Along with Sentry, Sentinel, R1 / RJ, UAVs (eventually, maybe)...haven't we tried this before? I seem to recall the whole world and his dog piling into Cranwell, only to discover (surprise surprise) that it didn't work, necessitating the re-opening of no less than 3 satellite airfields that had previously been closed as a 'cost saving' measure...

But then, why have a study that draws sensible conclusions, when you can simply find one done several years ago by a previous incumbent, and 'cut-and-paste'?

:ugh:

Guzlin Adnams
16th Oct 2008, 20:40
:confused: Honington's runway isn't maintained any more.
Looks like an exercise to keep civil servants employed.....Where's the money coming from for the additional building etc.
(Lets get more people back here from Germany as well.)

nice castle
16th Oct 2008, 21:59
With ref to the SH question.

Well, the Army part of the OP's document shows Lyneham as the JHC MOB from 2012 onwards. (I'm loving the fact that the air force don't 'do' helicopters....)

However, the money required to make that happen just is not there, and if we are heading into a recession, the idea of spending £0.5bn to fix something that isn't broken (remind me, what exactly would we gain by moving?) will just not be entertained.

Shame though, Wiltshire's lovely!

But then again, so are Hampshire and Oxfordshire. DOH! (See what I mean?)

PTR 175
17th Oct 2008, 08:01
Re: Honington.

The runway is only half open, the Western end is marked as being sterile. When I flew in there last time for a meeting, OPs stressed on keeping well away from the Western end.

They have also built a new SLAM block between the runway and the Peritrack up near the tower.

harrogate
17th Oct 2008, 08:50
Wittering's closing in 2015 I see.

Best get a complete runway resurfacing booked for 2014 then.

Green Flash
17th Oct 2008, 11:27
Is Dishforth going to close?

Part of the Catterick complex?

Guzlin Adnams
17th Oct 2008, 23:59
And a new mess building about to be constructed on the main ASP.

MaroonMan4
19th Oct 2008, 15:42
From an SH perspective (i.e. Belvedere) needs to be put to bed once and for all in very quick time (yes Sir, that means you have to make a decision!).

My wife cannot get a job in the local area because the local company (s) believe that we are re-locating soon. This is really pi$$ing her off and making my life a nightmare.

We also have kids that have also heard the 'gossip and rumours' and it is unsettling their education and lives in general - to the point of not making such strong friends as they believe that they will be moving again soon.

Investing in property with an aspiration to buy your own home nearest the station that you will probably (on an average career) spend a fair bit of time is becoming really difficult as for the last 8 years we have all been waiting for the DART/Belvedere decision.

If it is meant to be 'cost neutral' and no value is being added by playing this game of JHC basing chess - then will someone please have the back bone to declare rather than shuffling paperwork to make themselves look busy with the perception that a decision may be forthcoming soon (at some undefined point in the future). If there is still some merit and genuine work being done than can someone again please communicate this to both Service and local civilian communities - a simple Station 'X' maybe re-locating to Station 'Y' but no move before the 20AB etc.

teeteringhead
20th Oct 2008, 10:02
So this Lyons thing - moving MoD out of the (presumably more expensive) south east ......

...... so that's why Air blobbed up at High Wycombe rather than Innsworth then ........:confused::ugh:

Gainesy
20th Oct 2008, 10:23
With all this talk of shoving money into the building industry for major infrastructure projects (refurbish or new build all secondary schools for instance) maybe its time for MoD to ask about funds to build new MQs or whatever they're called this week. Or total rebuilds of some bases.

Yeh, I know, clouds and cuckoos.

Guzlin Adnams
24th Oct 2008, 19:21
Not certain if anyone's particularly intested but there may be some plans for more people at Honington. St Edmundsbury Borough Council has just released its local development framework and amongst the many sites which will be considered for Residential development are two site at RAF Honington. 13.29 Hectares off Green Lane and a further 0.09 off New Road. More consolidation of ground units or some flying units being considered?
Enjoy your weekend......