PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL/IR and JAR ATPL exams

Sudan19
16th Oct 2008, 11:27
Dear All,

I have a JAR PPL and passed all 14 JAR-FCL ATPL exams. but thinking about going to America to get an FAA CPL/IR because it's obviously cheaper and quicker.
can i get work like that or do i have to convert something because my ATPL ground training is not FAA?

sorry if someone else asked this question before, i don't know if there is another thread about it already.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance :ok:

O

BRS_flyer
16th Oct 2008, 12:24
FAA qualifications involve both a writen paper and an oral before you can take a flight test. Your ATPL's will probably make this easier for you (FAA/JAA differences aside) but they wont count for anything under the FAA system. You will also need to undertake a short conversion of your JAA PPL (you can't attach an FAA IR to a JAA licence).

Is it your intention to do the FAA qualifications and then convert straight away, because that may be more trouble than its worth. The two systems are quite different particually when it comes to IR. I have an FAA PPL and have just started ATPL and am discovering this for myself.

INNflight
16th Oct 2008, 13:57
As said unfortunately the JAA ATPL theory gives you no (real) gain, apart of course from the knowledge you already have, because you'd have to sit the written CPL and IR tests for the FAA anyways.

That being said, the JAA ATPLs are much more complex than for example the FAA ATP, so with the knowledge you have now you should have it quite easy passing the written exams over here.

Make sure you have some cash aside for converting the FAA IR back to JAA too, because that usually has to be done in JAR land.