PDA

View Full Version : Is CPL still mandatory for FI(H)

G-ROAR
16th Oct 2008, 08:20
I allowed my instructor rating(A)to lapse many moons ago (30 years to be precise) and now I am nearing retirement age I would like to instruct part time on helicopters. The CPL course will be a pain at my age but would do if necessary. I already have a current ME IR for fixed wing aircraft and I wouldn't do that course again for love or money. Just too stressfull and I suppose the CPL will be not much different.
Is there truth in the rumour that the CPL may be dropped and just the instructor course will be necessary?

daria-ox
16th Oct 2008, 09:05
I think it depends on the school .. :E at some you have to have a CPL to teach, at others you can do it with just your PPL and FI rating. I guess you should give your flying club a little visit and ask them about it. They'll surely give you all the informations you need.

Good luck and happy landings :ok:

jez d
16th Oct 2008, 11:54
I might be wrong, but this is my understanding of the situation.

According to EASA, the CPL requirement for PPL instructors is to end when they take control of FCL. However, EASA FCL proposals are still in the consulatation phase and Member States will have until April 2012 to adopt the new regs once they are ratified. Some, such as the removal of CPL requirement for PPL instructors, could be introduced earlier, but it is anyone's guess at this stage as to when this would be.

You can instruct currently without a CPL in the UK, but you would not be eligible for remuneration.

jez

julian_storey
16th Oct 2008, 13:14
You can instruct currently without a CPL in the UK, but you would not be eligible for remuneration.

Absolutely true, however you do CURRENTLY need to have passed the CPL writtens to do the FI course.

youngskywalker
16th Oct 2008, 15:34
And this will now generate several pages about the morality of instructing for free...:ok:

daria-ox
16th Oct 2008, 19:45
Exactly. :E