PDA

View Full Version : Reporting sick in Canada

Capt Apache
15th Oct 2008, 21:40
Hi guys.Im just curious as to what the procedure is in your respective companies if you must report sick.Do you give a doctors certificate/have to report to the company doctor or just call sick.Also do you get paid for those days.Guys from other places please give inputs as well.

regards

Apache

CaptW5
15th Oct 2008, 22:58
Just about every company I have worked for (in Canada) has had a different procedure and policy.

rigpiggy
17th Oct 2008, 14:04
A typical sick out phone call

Me: Hi it's @#$%, I'm sick, you'll have to replace me
sCrewSched: your out of sick days, I'm going to dock a vacation day
Me: Negative, you can dock a regular day
CS: We'll need a doctor's note
Me: No problem would you like me to book off until I can get an appointment, my Dr. is normally booked about 3 days ahead.
CS: But, your booked to fly tomorrow
Me: Your Call
CS: Okay, well get better soon
Me: Thanks, Bye

planett
20th Oct 2008, 14:19
"We don't have anybody to cover for you, you were not scheduled to be sick."

"Will you be sick tonight?"

ex-beagle
20th Oct 2008, 14:47
A typical sick out phone call at Air Canada:

Me: "Hi, I'm sick."

Crew Sked: "Ok, what's the employee number?"

Me: "12345"

Crew Sked: "OK, hope you're feeling better soon. Give us a call when you want to book back on."

Me: "Thanks."

Of course there is the caveat that if I am sick for more than 7 days, I have to get the ok from the company doctor before booking back on. Also, we only get 90% of our pay when we are sick.

Capt Apache
20th Oct 2008, 16:42
vow! 90% is a lot.If being sick for seven days doesnt kill you the loss of pay will.But what if you are temporarily unfit in your medical.Do you get any benefits at all.What if someone met with an accident and was grounded for a month.

Baffin Boeing Boy
21st Oct 2008, 08:01
calling in sick became too much of a hassle, with doctors and such.

I just call in dead.

BBB

ex-beagle
21st Oct 2008, 12:06
Not having been in that position (sick for more than 7 days), I am not up to speed on all the benefits. I do know that we can be sick for a month and get 90% of our pay.

If we are sick for longer than one month we get disability (GDIIP) from the company and extended mutual aid (from ACPA). The combination of GDIIP and EMA should replace 80-90% of your income.

Don't hold me to these numbers though. Like I said, I've never had to use it so may not be totally familiar with all the benefits.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
21st Oct 2008, 21:20
The conversation at Westjet would go the same as the one at Air Canada posted above.
One calls in sick. No questions asked. Crew sked fills the spot with someone else. Repeat once a year or so.
We have an unlimited # of sick days. Having said that, our sick stats are so far below the industry norm for pilots that it is becoming a concern that pilots are perhaps flying when they should not.

airman13
25th Oct 2008, 08:06
in my company no need medical certificate for 24 hrs.for more than 1 day you have to get it, and you are paid 80-100% base salary depending of what sickness you have, max 90 days in a year, after 90 days you will be checked by a medical commission. SANTE !

rigpiggy
27th Oct 2008, 15:04
Remember if they want the medical note, submit the receipt for it, if they don't pay, don't get another one