PDA

View Full Version : FAA CFI in Canada?

OLVpilot
15th Oct 2008, 18:42
Hello, I was curious to know if an American with an FAA Flight Instructor's certificate would go about instructing in Canada, preferably British Columbia.

I understand the process for converting FAA certificates to Canadian ones, however I wasn't sure if this includes the Flight Instructor's tickets as well.

In addition, it would seem to be exceptional given the requirements for work permits, etc.

Thanks for the answers,

Panama Jack
18th Oct 2008, 07:51
I would say opportunities are very very limited. The quick-process for converting licences does not extend to Flight Instructor qualifications, and the Canadian process is involved and complex like the FAA one.

If you had dual qualifications, there might be some limited opportunities such as for people who wanted to do an FAA Flight Review in Canada or receive advanced training for a US qualification, and if you were working at a Type Rating Training Center, same thing goes. However, probably not enough demand to do this on a dedicated basis. And you would never be able to sign off student pilots for solo on your FAA qualifications, their student pilot permits would be useless because they would not be flying in US Airspace anymore.

findosanganza2002
23rd Oct 2008, 19:19
Is your FAA CFI current. Would you be able to do my IFR IPC?

Speedbird48
23rd Oct 2008, 22:04
Hi OVLpilot,

The current agreement between the FAA and Transport Canada only covers Commercial, Instrument and ATP certificates.

Not helicopter, glider or seaplane either.

Speedbird48

OLVpilot
25th Oct 2008, 15:18
Thanks guys for the information. I was leaning toward the idea that they wouldn't accept it since it wasn't explicitly said.

Findo--I would love to do your IPC, but I don't have a II yet.