PDA

View Full Version : ET training Captain and his student FO

EtAF
14th Oct 2008, 19:30
Departure from Addis
YouTube - Ethiopian cockpit B757 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qbQ-DY0Fjc)

Approach to Jeddah
YouTube - Ethiopian cockpit Apch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSOron3NwA)

mwafrika
15th Oct 2008, 00:08
:confused: Hmmm.....not sure what this is about!

Der absolute Hammer
15th Oct 2008, 06:15
Perhaps it is advertising?
Ethiopian Airways can get from A to B with normality in cockpit?
Meanwhile, back in the cabin...chickens were sleeping?
Nothing wrong with EA-but this is what it looks.

Whenwe
15th Oct 2008, 11:45
I am sure I saw the Captain with a cigarette and the smoke.......... on finals

mwafrika
15th Oct 2008, 15:03
I am sure I saw the Captain with a cigarette and the smoke.......... on finals

At first glance thats what it looks like but I'll be damned if that was the case. It's probably solar glare playing tricks on the camera. The workmanship of the cameraman wasnt 1st class either. The audio wasn't clear and it seems like communications by the PNF (In this case the captain) were subtle and almost inaudible, hardly the best way to train someone. That said, ET is a reputable company and their crew is well trained. I find it hard to believe that the FO is being trained.

asacrj
15th Oct 2008, 18:41
What happened to the landing video???

EtAF
15th Oct 2008, 22:00
Hmmm.....not sure what this is about! don't know what you mean.....I just posted it cuz it is not common to see such cockpit operations that close.

I find it hard to believe that the FO is being trained. If he wasn't, the captain would not have been the one going over the check list.

That said, ET is a reputable company and their crew is well trained.Human Resource has been ET's secret to success - careful selection with top of the line training by top-notch instructors.

mwafrika
15th Oct 2008, 23:22
don't know what you mean.....I just posted it cuz it is not common to see such cockpit operations that close
You obviously don't watch enough Youtube my friend. There's literally hundreds of videos on cockpit operations.
If he wasn't, the captain would not have been the one going over the check list
Just out of curiosity, what kind of a/c do you fly and what airline is that? I've got three letters that you might want to learn...CRM! Oh here's a few more acronyms for you, PF, PM, SOP etc etc.
Human Resource has been ET's secret to success - careful selection with top of the line training by top-notch instructors
I dont question that at all. I don't mean to sound rude or harsh but next time you call me out and give wrong facts, you stand to be corrected. Good luck EtAF!:=

EtAF
16th Oct 2008, 22:22
You obviously don't watch enough Youtube my friend. There's literally hundreds of videos on cockpit operations.

It should be apparent from my post I was referring to ET's operation. Besides, how many videos cockpit operations of African carriers are posted? Don't forget this is an African aviation thread.

I've got three letters that you might want to learn...CRM! Oh here's a few more acronyms for you, PF, PM, SOP etc etc.

LOL!

So Crew Resource Management means the Captain letting the FO fly the plane? Read the title of the post first.

I don't mean to sound rude or harsh but next time you call me out and give wrong facts, you stand to be corrected. Good luck EtAF!

and which wrong facts I gave out? can you point them out?

You really need to tone down your ego. Nobody called you out and you were the one who decided to enter this thread.

mwafrika
16th Oct 2008, 23:44
EtAF, look, am not here to start arguing about cockpit procedures. Neither am I here to argue about Pilot Flying, Pilot Monitoring, checklists, callouts etc. And yes, I am African so I feel right at home in this thread. Tell me what a/c you fly, if any, then we can talk. In the mean time, ask questions if you're not sure. This has nothing to do with ego and I apologize if I appeared condescending. I'm sorry if I'm not jumping out of my seat singing kumbaya because of the video. For the record, I do fly a 752 so am pretty sure I know what goes on in the cockpit!

Der absolute Hammer
17th Oct 2008, 08:41
Jungle gym?

I also thought 'what is this about.'
It did not look as though f/o was being trained at all. Just normal flight on airline. But if being trained so what? Not the first lesson after sim. That is all.
For comments on use of checklist....standard two crew ops. PF/PNF.
And so what if smoking, a little of the sacred grass helps concentration you know.

mwafrika
17th Oct 2008, 10:29
Der Absolute, thanks for 'Hammering' my point across.:ok:EtAF's question about CRM meaning the captain letting the F/O fly made me want to have some of that sacred grass! I never thought there's people on here who thinks its the captain who's flying the plane all the time. Good luck.

chimbu warrior
17th Oct 2008, 10:32
Only thing I find a little unusual is the F/O keeps his hand on the thrust levers up until V1, whilst the Captain's hand is nowhere near the thrust levers.

Who carries out an RTO if required? If a malfunction occurs just prior to V1, how quickly can the Captain get his hand on the thrust levers?

I've heard only good things about ET, but do consider this a bit unusual.

Der absolute Hammer
17th Oct 2008, 12:09
chimbu warrior.

Standard take off drill.
First Officer take off?
Decision to stop before V1?
First officer retards thrust levers.
Refer company SOPs.

http://frysingerreunion.org/1/hires/newguinea131.jpg

mwafrika
17th Oct 2008, 19:33
Thats right, every company has its own ways of doing stuff. Most will encourage both pilots have their hands on thrust levers for safety but ultimately the crew ends up with the decision. Same thing as when to turn on a/p. We're encouraged to do it even when visibility is good to turn a/p on soonest possible so we can scan for traffic etc. That wouldnt bother me so much. I have high regards for ET pilots.

Flightsimman
17th Oct 2008, 21:22
That was definitely a cigarette in the second video (you can see it in his hand and then see the smoke).

Generally what are company policies on smoking in the flight-deck (i.e. does it still happen) ??

mwafrika
18th Oct 2008, 05:55
Generally what are company policies on smoking in the flight-deck (i.e. does it still happen) ??

Cigarettes and sacred grass are a definite no-no in the flight deck (atleast for us). Smoke in the cockpit is probably one of the worst things that could happen during a flight. I dont know if there's any airlines that promote smoke in the cockpit.

That might have been a pen the capt was holding.

pagasky
20th Oct 2008, 19:38
Like SOP's can differ, as to whether you smoke or not is individual company prerogative...not all ops take place in the paranoid US of A!
I know in my airline you may smoke, though I personally discourage it in my cockpit.