PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell fms and runway overflys.

cornwallis
14th Oct 2008, 19:01
The Honeywell fms has an anomaly whereby if you overfly the destination runway it deletes all the nav legs.I remember seeing an fcom bulletin or oeb about this on the 320 family but I am having trouble finding it.
Does anybody remember this and I think it was a software update to cure it?

Antunes
16th Oct 2008, 15:29
I don't remember if there are any FCOM bulletin or OEB regarding this issue, but this might help you...

This loss of navigation data occurs with all A319/A320/A321 aircraft when you have to discontinue an approach at intermediate stages (+- 5/7nm).

Normally, at this point, you wouldn't need to set to GA thrust, but you have to do it (at least for a moment), so that the system can understand that you're entering in the go-around phase.

If you don't, when you overfly the airport, the system will assume that you've landed and, therefore, don't need any nav data anymore. :eek:

For more details, check FCOM 4 "Flight Phase Related Procedures - Go Around" 4.05.80 p1a

Have a nice day

Meikleour
16th Oct 2008, 17:56
This characteristic can be seen if the airfield is overflown with the intention of joining the visual circuit. The `fix` is to make sure that there is a waypoint more than seven miles beyond the runway. This can be pilot generated if needed and stops the FMS from dumping the whole flight plan since you have to be closer than 7 nm for waypoint to sequence.

Pinkman
16th Oct 2008, 22:57
fms software that bins GA data uncommanded..... TCAS transponders that quietly slip into STBY mode or change frequency if your foot is resting in the wrong place....

is it unrealistic to expect that avionics should be better?? :confused:

I shake my head....