PDA

View Full Version : Has this been posted before? Cable break.

con-pilot
14th Oct 2008, 18:22
I have not seen this here, but it could have been posted before.

LiveLeak.com - Cable Snap On Carrier. (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f3_1223843637)

4Greens
14th Oct 2008, 22:11
Had a cable break myself in the 60's in the RN. The deck was fairly empty, slammed the anchors on and swerved to the right and stoopped before running off the end. The wires had been incorrectly set for a lower weight aircraft.

sitigeltfel
15th Oct 2008, 12:18
I always understood that carrier pilots went to full reheat on touchdown in anticipation of events like this so that they could do a bolter if they missed a wire. They only pulled the throttles back when they were sure of a positive trap. I cannot see the burners lighting up in this video.

Postman Plod
15th Oct 2008, 13:20
I'm sure burners or not, it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference - the aircraft was already being slowed significantly by the cable before it snapped - I'm sure no amount of reheat could have got it airbourne in that short space!

brickhistory
15th Oct 2008, 16:53
From what I remember reading about that accident, the pilot had pulled power as per normal ops because he felt the very sharp deceleration prior to the break.

Note: Again, from being told/reading, depending on the landing weight, an F/A-18 might not need 'burner, simply full mil power for a 'routine' bolter.

What's truly astounding to me is the deck sailor's presence of mind/reaction time to jump the snapped cable as it whipped back.

Well done! :ok:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Had a cable break myself in the 60's in the RN. The deck was fairly empty, slammed the anchors on and swerved to the right and stopped before running off the end.

Sea Hawk pilot friend told me of a similar event, but upon taking 'the right turn' found himself approaching a gaggle of parked jets. He said he aimed for his sister squadron's pile and could see his counterpart's commander on the vulture's row' giving him the "up yours" sign as he plowed in.

Good story if nothing else!

shaky
15th Oct 2008, 21:13
What's truly astounding to me is the deck sailor's presence of mind/reaction time to jump the snapped cable as it whipped back.Agreed. I believe the standing high jump used to be an Olympic event many years ago. That guy would have been a shoo-in for a gold medal.

4Greens
15th Oct 2008, 22:04
For info, the RN didnt use the technique of putting full power on after the arrest. This is one reason why I didnt go over the side.

Jaysi
17th Oct 2008, 04:20
Reheat never used bear in mind you are effectively doing a "roller" if you miss a wire and are very near fly away speed. Also, jet will be light if landing. If you see reheat it's because pilot has accidently pushed throttle through the gate.

Zoom
17th Oct 2008, 09:46
The ejection sequence highlights the time lost between the canopy separating and the pilot departing. Is it not a general requirement for naval aircraft that ejectees should depart through the canopy to save time or is it just not worth the effort designwise?

Tourist
17th Oct 2008, 15:03
4Greens.
The RN certainly used to.