PDA

View Full Version : Routing to Dominican Republic from LGW

Fred123
14th Oct 2008, 17:43
First post - hope it's in the right forum !

Flying out to POP on Sunday and was just inquisitive as to the normal routing? Will we go straight across the atlantic over the Azores or will we go North and then down the east coast of the good old U S of A ?

Note that there is a Tropical Storm forming that is predicted to be just east of Bermuda on Saturday, covering a part of the Atlantic, which appears to me to be directly inbetween LGW and POP if the direct route is taken!

Will this make a difference to the routing, and presumably, it could be a bumpy ride ?

Cheers
Fred

tubby linton
14th Oct 2008, 19:53
Atlantic routings change every day due to the changing weather patterns.Routes are selected to take advantage of the best available tailwind,minimum headwind.If there is a big area of low pressure then the route will be on the western side of it unless this involves a disproportionate amount of miles.The final routing will be based on the actual position of the low saturday and its forecast position for sunday.

ukdean
14th Oct 2008, 20:02
Pretty sure you would route out over Lands End the down over the Azores then next stop POP

BelArgUSA
14th Oct 2008, 20:59
2004 with Air Atlanta Icelandic -
xxx
LGW - 48ºN/20ºW - 45ºN/30ºW - 40ºN/40ºW - 35ºN/50ºW - 30ºN/55ºW - 25ºN/60ºW - Vermo - Punta Cana...
Routing slightly off (NW) of Açores...
As mentioned previously - Depends on winds - This is a random track.
No published tracks between Europe and Dominican Republic.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Fred123
14th Oct 2008, 21:10
Interesting route BelArgUSA - on current predictions of the new Tropical Storm which may become a Hurricane, this takes it straight through where they are predicting it to be on Sunday !

I suspect another route and as they change every day, I'll wait and see.

Cheers for your help.

BelArgUSA
14th Oct 2008, 21:23
Hola Fred -
xxx
Yes since you mention some storms, possibly hurricanes.
In Northern hemisphere, LP areas have counter-clockwise winds... so -
If they are located far South, this would be nice, winds will give you better ground speed.
If you would bypass them by the South, you would end with head winds...
Do not worry about turbulence, Wx radars show these storms quite well.
We avoid them by (generally) 150-200 NM...
Flight planning is always computed for "minimum time" (best speed)...
xxx
Have a good flight -
:ok:
Happy contrails

FAL
14th Oct 2008, 22:43
Don't know about Dom Rep but Anu ETOPS flts seem to go straight down a track that is just about as far from all land as possible. Highest distance from land I think is between Azores and Bermuda.
Last time coming back, routing was north almost to Newfoundland to pick up a particularly powerful jetstream that then had the A330-200 achieving ground speeds that were getting worryingly close to supersonic!

Groundloop
15th Oct 2008, 09:40
then had the A330-200 achieving ground speeds that were getting worryingly close to supersonic!

Surely it is airspeed that relates to Mach 1? Speed over the ground is irrelevant.

FAL
15th Oct 2008, 19:35
It WAS a joke...

stansted_dan
16th Oct 2008, 14:24
If you check back on here on Saturday evening I should be able to find out your exact routing, depends if the plan has been filed by then for Sunday.

forget
16th Oct 2008, 14:57
Give this to the flight deck - more time on the beach. And remember to get a window seat. :)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/jgh.jpg

Fred123
16th Oct 2008, 19:22
Cheers Dan - will look you up saturday !

Fred123
18th Oct 2008, 16:46
Any news, Stansted Dan ?

stansted_dan
18th Oct 2008, 17:50
I'm afraid the plan isn't filed yet. Who you flying on?

Fred123
18th Oct 2008, 19:37
Thomas Cook - TCX 65 LGW to POP

stansted_dan
18th Oct 2008, 21:58
I'm afraid that by the time I left work at 7 there was no flight plan filed so I couldn't find out. They're probably waiting for the latest Atlantic winds, when we fly across the Atlantic we don't tend to do the flight plan til around 12 hours before departure.

RingwaySam
19th Oct 2008, 03:19
Hi Fred,

I don't know if you'll read this or not but i'll post it just incase you do. You're routing this morning is:

EGKK SAM UR8 LND UR8 GAPLI UM197 GUNSO UN486 OMOKO 4520N 4030N 3440N 3050N 2560N POKEG M596 PTA MDPP/0901

Down to Lands End, over the Atlantic towards the Azores - You'll pass over Flores but you'll miss the bigger Islands of Pico and Horta. If you don't see Flores (on you're right, although you may fly directly over it), the first land you'll see will be when you hit Domican Republic. Not sure if it will be a bumpy ride or not but enjoy the holiday!

Sam