PDA

View Full Version : QSP(H) to ATPL(A)

cpmafia
14th Oct 2008, 15:14
Does anyone have any info on what is required / how much it costs to convert from QSP(H) to ATPL(A). I have read LASORS and I think that I have to do the full fixed wing cse which could prove costly in both time and money. I have 2400 hours of which 2200 are rotary and I am working towards my ATPL(H) bridging package. Any help would be appreciated.

cpmafia

struggle
14th Oct 2008, 15:40
Check your PMs.

Struggle

LINEBOOKO
14th Oct 2008, 17:58
Hi,

I'm also interested in taking this route, have just enroled on a DL course at Bristol as I dont have the hours for the bridging course.

I agree it looks like a v expensive route, what do you think is the best way ahead?

Thanks
LinebookO

talking horse
14th Oct 2008, 19:58
I did this about 4 years ago.

I qualified for the bridging package for QSP(H) to frozen ATPL(H), which only required Air Law, Ops Procedures and a bridging tech exam. (It should also have included a Performance exam, but the CAA hadn't created it yet.) Then just the paperwork and the inevitable cheques. I used Bristol Groundschool, who were good at knowing which hoops I had to jump through.

I then bridged from frozen ATPL(H) to frozen ATPL(A). I did the exams through Bristol again, which were PofF, Ops Procedures, another bridging tech/systems exam, and Performance. I did it all by distance learning but given my time again, I would want some face-to-face time, especially for performance.

I already had some 400 hrs FW time, so I didn't have to do hours building, but I did have to restart my PPL(A) and do a qualifying cross-country. I then did a modular CPL course, which was reduced to 15hours (I think), a twin rating (6 hours) and a modular IR Course reduced to 25 hours. Its all in LASORS.

That, plus more paperwork and cheques, got me a frozen ATPL(A). I was exempt MCC due to previous helicopter 2 pilot time, but I chose to do a Jet Orientation Course on a B737 FNPT at Oxford. I would recommend it -it made a big difference for sim assessments at interview time, and also gave me a start when I started the type rating.

If you want to know more, PM me. However, it may not be the best time to be looking for a job as an airline pilot.

All the best.

TH

Alex Whittingham
14th Oct 2008, 20:07
Talking Horse is right, except you'll get a credit for fixed wing Operational Procedures if you've done it in the last 3 years. All our current heli courses follow the 'interim procedure', where heli pilots do predominantly fixed wing exams, so, if you've done the course with us, you get this exemption.

Thus, if you've done the military bridging course for helicopter pilots and you want to cross over to ATPL(A), you need to do exams in Principles of Flight (A), Performance (A) and (another) bridging exam comprised of sections of AGK, Instruments, Met and Flight Planning.

If you've completed all the ATPL(H) subjects using the interim procedure you just need to do Principles of Flight (A) and Performance (A).

A small warning, here. The interim procedure is due to be withdrawn at the end of November and, from that date, anyone starting a helicopter military bridging or full ATPL(H) course must follow a helicopter specific syllabus. For a number of reasons we are unlikely to be able to offer these courses between 01 Dec 08 and April 09. It won't affect either of the above posters, though, they can carry on what they are doing, it only affects new starts.

Alex Whittingham
14th Oct 2008, 20:17
....should also have said that we can do the ATPL(H) to (A) bridging course fairly informally right now if you've done a military bridging course with us but, after the end of November, the CAA require us to operate a full approved course - in other words we'll have to monitor it, you'll have to do all the lessons and progress tests, it will be more expensive.

drugsdontwork
14th Oct 2008, 20:41
Alex, i am a QSP (H) with 2200 hrs. I still have 5 years to serve but am concerned about these changes to the bridging package. Am I better waiting and doing the new package slow time or would it be in my interest to register now and get cracking before the changes? What in simple terms will be the differences? Cheers.

Alex Whittingham
14th Oct 2008, 20:50
Once we get the course together it should be better than the interim system because it will be all rotary - very few helicopter pilots want to learn about B737 autopilots. I'd hang on. It will only disadvantage pilots who want to get a double license, and even then not by much.

drugsdontwork
14th Oct 2008, 21:00
thanks Alex, will sit tight, see what package develops for us rotary types. Cheers.

wobble2plank
15th Oct 2008, 12:27
I completed the ATPL(H)/(A) bridging exam in 2005, I was, I believe, the first to do it and the support from Alex and his team was excellent. (thanks again Alex :ok: )

If you can get in on the current 'interim' arrangements then go for it, the exam, as I remember it, was fairly easy with the right prep and took me a total of 15 minutes to complete with a score of 96%!