PDA

View Full Version : GNS530 - how is the flash database secured?

IO540
14th Oct 2008, 11:28
This is NOT an illegal question :)

With the Honeywell units e.g. KLN94, when the data is downloaded from the Bendix King website, you specify a hex key which is stored on the compact flash card (not in the GPS itself).

This means that when you purchase the standard 13-cycle subscription, and don't do any IFR flights for say 4 months (say the engine has to come out), or fly irregularly, you can use the four cycles to program somebody else's card, and obviously they can give you some money for that. You cannot just keep deferring the cycles as Honeywell confiscate any remaining un-downloaded cycles after 18 months.

The hex key changes anyway; the programming software changes it from time to time, seemingly at random.

Can one do the same with the Garmins, or is their key stored in the GPS, and is fixed for the purchased subscription?

Chilli Monster
14th Oct 2008, 11:55
There is no "key" as such. You have a subscription, which gives you a userid and password. With that you can update the memory cards which fit into the front of the panel via an adaptor which plugs into your PC's USB port. The cards will work in ANY unit, you can update ANYONE's card. You can only download one update per subscription - once it's done, that's it until the next month. If you can't use your subscription for any period of time then negotiate direct for an extension

Fright Level
14th Oct 2008, 12:38
What's the cheapest way to get a one off UK/EUR update for a 430? I bought a spare card 6 months ago with the latest update but now I've got a spare how I can do a one off every now and then without having to buy an expensive USB interface?

what next
14th Oct 2008, 12:50
Hello!

how I can do a one off every now and then without having to buy an expensive USB interface?

I would ask my favourite avionics workshop to do it. For regular customers the should do it for free (or a very small charge, it really only takes a few seconds). Of course you'll have to pay Jeppesen for the data.

Greetings, Max

S-Works
14th Oct 2008, 13:36
I have a Jepp sub and a few spare cards. I just update the card for the month for my aircraft and take the previous months out and it usually ends up in another aircraft for VFR use and I take the old card and reuse it in the next cycle.

Jepp charge outrageous amounts for the data and it annoys me paying multiple times for the same stuff, Jeppview, Flitestar and Garmin.

If you are not too pissed with me Peter, email me and I will share a secret with you on programming the cards.