PDA

View Full Version : Feathered yellow taxiway markings?

minimany
14th Oct 2008, 10:10
I have noticed yellow taxiway edge lines curving onto the runways at some UK airports. They also have smaller yellow lines projecting from one side giving a feathered effect. I cannot find any explanation for them in the Jeppesen manual. I am sure there must be a simple reason for their existence but I wonder if anyone could explain and maybe give an official reference?

Big M
14th Oct 2008, 10:20
Short diagonal yellow lines off a solid taxi edge marking would be to designate low strength pavement.

minimany
14th Oct 2008, 11:28
Thanks Big M.

Rainboe
14th Oct 2008, 13:22
Definitely means 'Keep Off!'

mcdhu
14th Oct 2008, 14:21
Try the free Pdf download of CAP 637 Visual Aids Handbook from the CAA SRG website. From your description, it sound like 'Taxiway edge marking indicates paved shoulder of bearing strength less than Taxiway or area beyond mark not intended for aircraft use'

As Rainboe so succinctly says: ''Keep Off''

Cheers
mcdhu

minimany
15th Oct 2008, 10:56
Thanks folks. I have seen these lines extending out deep onto the runway from the taxiway edge lines (Possibly at Gatwick?) Surely the runway wouldnt have a load-bearing issue within the yellow areas? Is it perhaps done to inform aircraft that are turning off the runway that low load bearing areas are ahead on the taxiway?

mcdhu
15th Oct 2008, 15:39
Mini, I think these recent lines ot the turn-offs are relevant to the A380. Some of the recent work on 26L/08R at LGW was to do with the Airlines nominating Lgw as an A380 diversion for LHR and thus the ground you refer to might be good for other ac but not for the \a380.

Cheers,
mcdhu

DBate
15th Oct 2008, 17:23
And for all of us who have never seen those markings before (like me) - here is the link to the CAA SRG Visual Aids Handbook mcdhu mentioned before (markings to be found on page 24):

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP637.PDF

minimany
15th Oct 2008, 23:57
Thanks Mcdhu. Thats very interesting.