PDA

View Full Version : Credible flying schools around Johannesburg

fbartonik
14th Oct 2008, 09:49
Hi all,

I'll be returning to South Africa, my country of birth in Feb to fulfill a life long dream of potentially becoming a pilot. I've worked hard to save up the money but like everyone I'm looking for "value for money" PPL training.

So many schools, I've run off the road a bit. A few questions:

1. I've noticed that the prestigious schools like 43airschool, George, Lanseria are all about R20 000 more expensive than your zero four flight school, RFA etc ......not sure why. All I'm looking to do as a start is my PPL, thereafter my CPL, depending on resources, time constraints etc....any thoughts most appreciated.

2. I read that potentials employers tend to prefer intergrated training over modular ? Any truth behind this ?

I would appreciate any advise but I would say my budget would be around R60 000 for a full-time PPL ( excluding accommodation), thereafter its back to work to save up some more money for a potential CPL.

Thanking everyone in advance for your help !!

FB

pilotflyinghigh
30th Dec 2008, 11:17
Hello ,
I don't know whether u have joined any school for flying right now, but let me tell you this if you are really looking for economic schools don't try the big names in south africa i know 43, SAFTA are biggies ,but they are costly too .. try other schools like FTS, loutzavia and more their budget is quiet good to afford .. remember no compromise in quality either ..
all the best.:ok:

digitalsoul
30th Dec 2008, 12:06
Flight Training Services the way to go. Best quality, friendly atmosphere and good condition of training aircraft. Computer based training, weather good all round. Tested my CPL there, very nice people indeed, I have no complains.

zerothree
30th Dec 2008, 13:38
I can also vouch for FTS. You may also want to try ATA (Aviator Training Academy) in Springs. Some very experienced instructors available, and a VERY nice sim for the IF work when you get to that stage.

Der absolute Hammer
30th Dec 2008, 14:57
Perhaps those of you in the know can help with this question-if it has an answer.

Of the flying schools on the Reef, at FAGC, FALA and perhaps FAGM which are the ones which mostly seem to take non SA students, at whatever level, and which ones might deal mostly with South Africans from the usual walks of the life either those looking for recreation or those looking for an aviation career?

fly1981
31st Dec 2008, 05:44
Hey,
also keep in mind, that further on down the line possible employers also look at what flying school you went to, this is where 43, progress and SAFTA etc have the advantage, they might be a little more expensive, but worth it in the long run because they have earned a reputation amongst the contract companys, airlines etc etc. My advise is, if you are looking into doing your CPL in the long run, rather go to a school that has a good reputation among the various companys that we as pilots look to for employment after we complete our licence's. I trained at progress flight academy(PFA) years ago, their training was excellent, it may have taken a little longer(HRS wise) and maybe a little more costly(not much....) but when you leave there, I can honestly say, you'll be ready for what lies ahead! I have been looking into doing some more training in the JHB area, out of all the schools that sent me info, SAFTA seemed to be a good choice.
Good luck, hope you find what you looking for.

Maverick25
26th Aug 2010, 19:49
Hello fly1981 !

In November, am going to SAFTA to do my PPL ! Any tips (positive or negative) about that school mate ?!

Thank you in advance

The Ancient Geek
26th Aug 2010, 21:14
It depends on where you want to work.
The smaller schools will train you for an SA licence, for a JAA licence you need to spend a bit more at places like Lanseria.

vserian
27th Aug 2010, 05:06
Join 43 Air school, i did my training there many many years ago, excellent training!

ct2003
27th Aug 2010, 15:39
@ancient geek:

Since when is any flight school in SA offering JAA training? Haven't heart of any.
Up to now (and afaik) SA licence is an ICAO licence. No more, no less.

Low-bypass
27th Aug 2010, 17:37
FTS seems the best compromise of everything u're looking for

The Ancient Geek
27th Aug 2010, 19:11
Since when is any flight school in SA offering JAA training? Haven't heart of any.
Up to now (and afaik) SA licence is an ICAO licence. No more, no less.

Just look at the website :
lanseria flight centre now exclusively offers jaa professional pilot training - jaa pilot licensing systems, professional aviation training (http://www.flylfc.com/ukjaa.html)

jbayfan
29th Aug 2010, 15:09
As I said in another post on this forum, go and visit the various schools and then make a decision.

Questions you need to ask: Do they have a full-time CFI? Do they have full-time management? Do they have a full-time dedicated ground school instructor? Do they have their own AMO?

Also, speak to their current students. If they recommend the school, you know you have a winner. If not, look somewhere else.

In Joburg, try FTS and SAFTA.

wannabepilot1991
5th Sep 2012, 20:38
progress seams to be a good option. but they provide training in frasca 131 and frasca 142 simuators while safta provides training in fnpt II....... Can any one tell me which school to choose......:confused:

JekiJock
6th Sep 2012, 12:08
It's a shame that schools like sky raiders and Babcock have just shut down. Both good schools from what little I saw of them.

I went to 43 which was great but I've also done some renewal training and ratings through FTS and never had a problem with them. And there always seems to be a lot of bored instructors hanging around so you shouldn't have trouble getting cockpit time whenever you want. Which we did at 43 sometimes with the amount of students they get.