PDA

View Full Version : Complacency

modelman
13th Oct 2008, 22:10
Not wishing to hijack the 'How safe is flying' thread but in response to
G-EMMA's comment:

G-EMMA wrote:

PS Paul, don't get complacent about bimbling, we wouldn't want you to become a statistic

You show great wisdom.
I went out for a bimble in my local area on Sunday after waiting an age for the vis to improve.(which it did).I drew some lines on my chart to keep roughly on track (no plog though....) and set off. Big,big mistake.Vis was terrible, and quite surprising although I though I knew the area like the back of my hand, soon started doubting my exact position.It was at this point that my GPS decided it couldn't get a fix.Tuned into a VOR and got myself back to airfield ok asap.Never went IMC but not a very relaxing experience.
Will always calculate my headings in future:ugh:

MM

Whirlygig
13th Oct 2008, 22:31
Indeed Modelman. However, I think that's something everyone has to learn the hard way! I know I did!!

Cheers

Whirls

Pilot DAR
13th Oct 2008, 23:07
"Bimbling" is not an aviation term, with which I am familiar. However, I'm wondering if bimbling in near IMC while intending to be VFR, would actually be "bumbling"?

Nice going Modelman. Those of us who have not bumbled into IMC, on that local jaunt around the patch, will one day. Not matter how wise we are, how prepared, and how often we have promissed our selves we will not do it, we still do.

Many years ago, I decided to punch through a localized snow shower at about 700' AGL, instead of flying around it, which I knew I could have done. With lots of IFR flying in my past, it would be no big deal. Wouldn't that be just the time my artificial horizon packs it in, and rolls upside down - inviting me to follow it. I started to, but the needle, ball, and airspeed did not concur. I'm writing now because I worked it out then. I bumbled out the other side of the small snow shower, partial panel and fully thinking!

Cheers, Pilot DAR

Whirlygig
13th Oct 2008, 23:12
"Bimbling" is the aviation equivalent of going for a Sunday drive; to go for a flight with no particular purpose other than enjoy the very act of committing aviation.

I don't think the OP suggested he was in IMC (just crappy vis) but is an example of a salutory lesson we all need to learn tha,. however well you think you know the area, there could always be something that could catch you out.

Cheers

Whirls

Keygrip
14th Oct 2008, 02:57
however well you think you know the area

I knew the area extremely well - departed Manchester International, found the telescope, followed the railway to Crewe, turned right found my way to Chester, saw the river Dee between Wales and the Wirral (which clearly marked the edge of Liverpool airspace).

Easy this - up the river, turn right across the top of the Wirral, re-enter Manchester from the North West - job done.

Happily flying up the river Dee looking at the river banks...the cross river ferries, the Liver building....

The cross river ferries and The Liver building?

There's only one river that has a ferry 'cross it and we all know the words to that song.

Liverpool Approach forgave me because I jumped on the radio and admitted my mistake - didn't try to hide it.

Not a proud day.

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Oct 2008, 03:04
I know what bimboing is....so does Bill Clinton. :E