PDA

View Full Version : any one have Info about flight training in South Africa

oldpilot000
13th Oct 2008, 17:27
Hello
I need help please

am thinking in doing my flight training in South Africa.
there is so many flight school there, but am not sure where to go !
My Question please .
is it Possible End the PPL CPL IR and Multi in 6 or 7 months like USA or Canada.
is it realy hard to pass the CPL test in South Africa!
my last Question please ,any one have Info about this school FTC (Flight Training College - George South Africa)
web (www.flighttraining.co.za (http://www.flighttraining.co.za))
or what is the best school for me''' who will start from Zero to CPL IR.
many thanks to all
Harthi

Leezyjet
14th Oct 2008, 23:28
Try a search on here. There was one flying school at George getting a real slating not so long ago. Taking student's money, and not giving them regular training - 1 flight/week or so, but just enough so the students couldn't leave as they would not get their deposits back, but I forget which school it was.

I can recommend Algoa at PE, I only did my PPL and most of my hour building with them, but they are pretty highly regarded in SA and they got me through that in 19 days !!. Not sure if it would be possible to do PPL/CPL/ME and IR in the time frame you state, not with the hours building as well as the ground school you would also have to do.

Also have a look at APTRAC also in PE and 43rd Air School at Port Alfred, and Progress Flight Academy. They are the main ones in SA.

:)

Shunter
15th Oct 2008, 06:22
Another vote for Algoa. Great bunch of people, nice selection of aircraft. Love the way all the planes sit right out the back of the clubhouse near the BBQ and you taxi down to the airfield and radio tower to open the gate :)

Capt Narcissus
15th Oct 2008, 08:31
Hi there..
Firstly, a great choice of place to do your Flight Training, South Africa offers excellent standards in training.
The main areas you mite want to consider is time, money, exposure to various flight training environments. I'll try my best to put these details down from my cell phone.. but pls feel free to PM me if you have any doubts.
Some of the most popular schools are 43 Airschool, Flight training Services, CFA, and now the upcoming SAFTA.
If you choose to fly along the coast such as in George, PE or PA, you mite want to consider the weather.. esp the low cloud bases and winds. Advantages how ever are tht your confidence levels esp in your landing and X-wind landing techniques will be much higher then the guys flyin inland. Disadvantages of flyin down the coast are that you'll miss out on proper navigation techniques. All you gotto do is fly along the coast most of the times.
If you wish to fly along the coast, avoid CFS as much as psbl, they'll rip you off like its no ones business. I dont wanna start a CFS thread here, so pls keep your comments away.

Flying inland, you are exposed to more tighter airspace boundaries aswell as navigation techniques etc.. and more days of good flyin wx. Not very likely in the next few months though.

In the end, you could train anywhere that gives you good value for your money. Aviation is a business provided you get ur money's worth. And a lot of the success depends on your abilities and your will. There's no gurantee that flyin in a fancy reputed school like 43 will make you an excellent pilot, bt yes.. if you cock up, be sure to start looking for other schools as u wont last there.
You could finish your training in 7 months provided, your are really dedicated and finish your theory exams as soon as possible and fly as often as possible.
Flyin is meant to be fun and enjoyable, so just flyin often and tryin to clock 8 hrs a day defeats the purpose.. its just burning holes in the sky. You need time to re evaluate your skills and make sure you learn as much as possible from every single flight, every t/off or landing you do,...
What ever you decide to do, I wish you the very best!

Der absolute Hammer
15th Oct 2008, 08:32
The school getting the slating was NOT..
Flight Training College.
This is owned by SAA A340 Captain who is a very straight guy. WW.
Reputation of this place is very high.Have been there.

Flight Training College - George South Africa (http://www.flighttraining.co.za/career.htm)
But you know that.

Remember the Dam Busters and Der Eder? Tricky run that initial witht he castle.

Capt Narcissus
15th Oct 2008, 08:41
Yep I agree.. FTC's a great school. infact their COM and ATPL notes are well respected for years. If its George, its gotto be FTC..!

SilveR5
26th Oct 2008, 22:33
Hi mate

I know about those schools in SA very well...so I would suggest either:

1. SAFTA
2. Algoa

Although I would perfer SAFTA coz they have trained many airline pilots for many African airlines and also some pilots of Qatar Airways. Even money-wise, SAFTA may qoute u a better price including their own accomodation.

& as the guys mentioned, training by the sea like in George or PE (as APTRAC or FTS) would be too difficult coz of weather. While for SAFTA and Algoa as both located very closely to Johannesburg, you've got some decent weather there

All the best:ok:

G-STAW
27th Oct 2008, 15:30
hey,

im looking to head to SAFTA next year to commence my flight training, looks a very good school, i have heard alot of good reports regarding this centre.

G-STAW

preduk
27th Oct 2008, 17:54
Whats the average cost these days of completing your PPL in SA?

koolbuddy
25th Nov 2008, 10:57
I am planning to join Algoa Flight Center in Port Elizabeth in Jaunuary. But after reading some gud words about SAFTA, I am little confused. I have US FAA private Pilot license and want to do IR, commercial but dont want to train there as SA gives the same quality & standard at better price. Which among the two u think is best for professional training.