PDA

View Full Version : Does bringing your own plane = work?

czechsanchez
13th Oct 2008, 06:58
I'm an American currently begining flight school in Prague.

I was wondering if I brought an an-2 with me to the dark continent along with spares and my own mechanic, would I be able to find work quite readily?

B200Drvr
13th Oct 2008, 07:44
If it was an AN 2 TP, otherwise avgas availability will be a problem in most places.

unstable load
13th Oct 2008, 07:52
I wouldn't if I were you.
You would struggle to get overfly permission to most countries and then you will end up tied up in real or imagined red tape that involves lots of extra curricular cash and if you were really unlucky you may end up losing the whole lot ot someone at the local CAA/DCA that fancies you plane for himself and ties you up in formalities until you walk away from it all.

czechsanchez
13th Oct 2008, 08:24
unstable load:

do most of the current operators have intimate knowledge of the African bureaucracy environment which gives them sort of an edge?

I'm currently in the machinery sales business, so I know what kind of folks operate eastern bloc machinery and aircraft in africa, but i dont have direct knowledge of all their procedures.

Would you say that operators of eastern bloc aircraft running crews of ukrainians etc, are almost a different animal than those run by westerners? in the sense that they're up to more shady ****, and might be greasing wheels when it comes to beaucracy?

Right now, im just getting my pilot's licence so I can hope to buy some 4 seater in order to take the mrs and friends around europe, so by no means am I experienced in commercial aviation.
But the entrepauner and adventure junkie in me, is very very curious about possiblities in Africa.

Is there money to be made in African bush piloting from a corperate standpoint? Or are most companies there already able to handle the current workload, making it not too lucrative for newcomers?

mwafrika
14th Oct 2008, 12:31
I'm an American currently begining flight school in PragueIf you're American and you can afford a plane, why go to flight school in the Czech Republic and fly in Africa? Dude, everything about your posts doesn't make sense, including your grammar. Here's how it works in Africa if you want advise.....you know people in high places, you'll be successful, you dont know people in high places, life will be a :mad: misery! Happy flying:confused:

Siguarda al fine
14th Oct 2008, 14:10
In DRC AN 2 are run on MOGAS but do not go to DRC as you will be ragged bagged and sha**ed and never paid EVER.

unstable load
14th Oct 2008, 15:36
but i dont have direct knowledge of all their procedures

Often subject to change without notice purely dependant on who you know/are or both.

Would you say that operators of eastern bloc aircraft running crews of ukrainians etc, are almost a different animal than those run by westerners?

Definitely.

and might be greasing wheels when it comes to beaucracy?

Sound business survival skill on the dark continent.

you know people in high places, you'll be successful, you dont know people in high places, life will be a http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif misery!

To the point, accurate and succinct.

My advice, don't bother as a one man band in Africa, especially with a piston plane and no top cover from VIP's. Even with top cover, be VERY careful.

Jumbo744
14th Oct 2008, 22:44
don't bother with trying to open a business in Africa, trust me, I have experience. Just get a job as a pilot, you'll make more money and won't have any trouble (almost) :ok:

unstable load
15th Oct 2008, 12:35
Well said, JUMBO!!

mwafrika
15th Oct 2008, 15:22
Just get a job as a pilot, you'll make more money and won't have any trouble (almost) http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

True Jumbo744. Just remember pilots in most African countries are held in high regards. Just be careful the company you keep. Oh and those liscious fine women that might derail you!:)