PDA

View Full Version : ME JAA in the US?

crille
12th Oct 2008, 21:22
Hi folks,

Some questions from a newbie here. I have JAA PPL and am studying ATPL here in Europe. I'm thinking of coming to the US to do some timebuilding towards my JAA CPL fATPL. Is it also possible to do the ME part over there? I remember having read somewhere that if one starts his ATPL theory in a JAA country, one has to do all the ratings in the same country. But I can't find any information on that.

Any good flying schools you can recommend?

Rotorhead1026
13th Oct 2008, 03:10
I recall that there are a couple in Florida that advertise JAA training, but I don't know anything about them reputation-wise. Get Google working for you. :)

And there should be someone at the school who can answer your JAA theory question.

Plenty of caveats on Pprune about the perils of paying for training in advance, too. BE CAREFUL!!!!!! :ok:

IRISHPILOT
19th Oct 2008, 10:42
well what is JAA training then? Probably an FAA instructor doing his normal FAA syllabus. Is your licence Swedish? Then check with your CAA, but generally, you do the licence under one jurisdiction (ATPL theory and CPL), then you can add ratings as you like under other JAA jurisdictions.

The night qualification is just that, not even a rating, so even FAA is fine. The ME or any type rating can be done anywhere worldwide, some CAAs insist on you doing the JAA IR in their airspace only, but many countries take a flexible view on this...

good luck! IP

tbavprof
19th Oct 2008, 13:39
Is the JAA PPL restricted to SE?

To OP, you can add an ME rating to the FAA PPL that you'll use in the US. Have no idea what it means when you go back to eurolandia.