PDA

View Full Version : Airlines/Travel Agents

Doverbeach
12th Oct 2008, 17:14
Please bear with me on this...............

I booked 2 flight seats from Glasgow AEA290 to Tenerife to leave on Boxing Day at 23.15 and return one week later leaving from Tenerife AEA289 at 18.00.

I booked through a company called Travel Republic away back last January and the main attraction was "a good flight home" . I paid £100 per flightdeposit.

Surprise surprise and not for the first time in my life I get an email 3 days before my balance was due telling me the Airline who is have now changed the flight times to leave at MIDNIGHT on both ways and get in at stupid o'clock,but here is the Icing on the cake my outward flight from Glasgow is now going to Manchester then Gatwick then Tenerife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new flight numbers are AEA242 and AEA 241

To say I am furious is an understatement of the highest magnitude.

I called the Airline and Travel Republic who each blamed each other...They tell me they are allowed 11 hours either way as that is "the law"" This is an utter disgrace and I am looking for guidance as to how I take this further,if it's writing to my MP then I will do this.

For the record I was told I did not need to pay my balance but no way was I entitled to get my deposit money back £200.... Flights at present would cost me nearly £500 MORE in total if I were to book them from today!!!

Can anyone tell me why the CUSTOMER always suffers????:mad:

apaddyinuk
12th Oct 2008, 17:30
I always laugh when people say they will write to their MP!

Can I ask why you decided to place your deposit as early as January? No airline would have a defined schedule and considering all the cut backs airlines are now making as a result of the credit crunch (Im sure you have heard of it) I am not surprised your airline is merging flights.

When it comes to booking charters you really need to make yourself a tad more flexible. But just be grateful your holiday has not gone the way of XL!

hamsco
12th Oct 2008, 17:31
Dont take it out on the agent. Airlines can do what they want, its all in the T's & C's. Just be greatful it wasnt an email to say the airline had gone under.

san diego
12th Oct 2008, 18:01
Travel Republic have something of a reputation of doing this, but in law, your contract is not with them or the airline. As this is a charter flight, your contract must be with an ATOL holder, that is someone authorised by the CAA to sell the seats. Travel Republic should be acting as their agent and must, in law, have passed on the invoice to you. That is the company to contact.

There is no 12 hour 'law', within the ABTA Code of Conduct, and who knows whether your contract is with an ABTA member or not, a suggested time change of 12 hours is considered 'material' but the real issue within the code is 'inconvenience' and this is certainly inconvenient. If TR do not offer to pass you a copy of the ATOL Confirmation, which you may find is a different price to that which you paid, contact the CAA help desk on 020 7453 6424 and they may be able to help

Doverbeach
12th Oct 2008, 21:12
The reason I booked so early was the attractive price I was quoted! I am still of the opinion that it is always the customer who suffers but thanks for your input!