PDA

View Full Version : BA flight to Delhi diverts into Berlin due technical problems

eagle21
12th Oct 2008, 16:03
As reported in BBC News just 5 min ago

Flight stats show:

Flight Origin Destination Departure Gate Arrival Gate Status
BA 143 LHR DEL 10:03 AM 11:00 PM Redirected

BA 143 SXF LHR 05:30 PM En Route

BA 143 LHR DEL 08:00 PM Scheduled

IFE electrical problem.

BBC wasting taxpayers money again...

flyvirgin
12th Oct 2008, 16:11
A British Airways flight has made an emergency landing at a German airport after a problem with its in-flight entertainment system.
The Boeing 777 was travelling from London to New Delhi when the pilot was alerted to the problem by a cockpit alarm.
He diverted the plane, carrying 222 passengers and 16 crew, to Schoenefeld airport, south-east of Berlin. A British Airways spokesman later said the flight was returning to London.

ChristiaanJ
12th Oct 2008, 16:43
There was an SLF riot when it was found the only inflight movie was "The Sound Of Music".

ukdean
12th Oct 2008, 16:44
anyone confirm aircraft type 76 or 77, beeb saying 76....

flyvirgin
12th Oct 2008, 16:59
I think it was a 777

L337
12th Oct 2008, 17:07
Dear God, please put this in the spotters forum.

JW411
12th Oct 2008, 17:13
That won't work; most of the spotters have moved to this forum.

apaddyinuk
12th Oct 2008, 17:15
Anyone know if it is the same 777 as last weeks IFE diversion into ORD?

Big Hilly
12th Oct 2008, 17:28
For the love of all things sane. . .It must be a quiet day in the BBC newsroom, that's all I can say! Or maybe the BBC has gone and invested the entire News Budget at 6% in Icesavinglandeskarpurthingbank. . .

nossi89
12th Oct 2008, 17:28
It was a 777, G-VIIK

aeroweb - Foto 2602331 (http://www.aeroweb.de/show/?id=2602331&PHPSESSID=7ca81d977cf06122e916fa44cb44ac80)

sevenforeseven
12th Oct 2008, 17:53
Help, shares at £1.09 and thats all you got to worry about!!!!:ugh:

drivez
12th Oct 2008, 17:56
Sorry non-pilot posting.

Just a quick question, why does the aircraft need to divert for a problem with the in-flight entertaiment system. I was on an A-330 a few months ago where all the t.v's weren't working, and a guy came from somewhere with a screwdriver, screwed around a little bit, and got most of the t.v's back on. So why did they need to divert?

Lurking123
12th Oct 2008, 18:05
drivez, Google "aircraft IFE fire" and you will find some info.

drivez
12th Oct 2008, 18:43
Thanks I see now, guess that swissair accident would make me divert to.

BlueRay
12th Oct 2008, 19:04
Well that's two IFE/Cabin fire events in just 1 week. Looks like matter of luck that these don't result in serious loss. Little moreon tomorrows despatchs programme in the early paper releases. Daily Mail quoting safety problems with BA engineering. These inflight events would certainly bolster that view. See for yourself at : British Airways is under fire for having one of the worst records for cancelling flights | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1076886/British-Airways-having-worst-records-cancelling-flights.html)

Carnage Matey!
12th Oct 2008, 19:06
3 hours? Come on Blue Ray, you can do better than that! Doesn't normally take you that long to jump on a "BA are dangerous/BA aircraft crashes/BA pilots racist/BA responsible for global economic meltdown so please watch Dispatches" bandwagon. You must have stopped for Sunday dinner. Hope it was tasty!

PS Interesting to see that your beloved show is following it's usual tactics of using vested interests to support the views they want to spoon feed the viewers. Asking a man whose business is getting compensation from airlines to discuss cancellations is typical of C4s bias. Rather reminds of those tee-total American flying students they got to drink a bottle of vodka before hamming up flying a 727 simulator.

virgo
12th Oct 2008, 19:18
When is someone going to realise that if the crew included a third chap who could recognise an overheated IFE transformer and sort it out, who knew how to keep his fuel from icing and was a third pair of eyes to confirm check-list responses, the airline might save itself a lot of money ?

BlueRay
12th Oct 2008, 19:22
Carnage, you really are getting a little fixated. Maybe you need to revert back to those anger management sessions you were promoting. I think PPRUNERs are more than capable of deciding whether they want to watch a programme about BA and the miriad of serious incidents in recent history. Certainly the Daily Mail article ref'd above looks like it's gonna be an interesting 1hr tomorrow. Getting back on thread, looks like there were 222 people onboard, better than the 139 to chicago the other night. Probably full of staff travel!

Carnage Matey!
12th Oct 2008, 19:22
who knew how to keep his fuel from icing

If you know of such a chap can you please ask him to call the AAIB, the NTSB, the CAA, the FAA, Boeing and Rolls Royce because they're all stumped by that one.

And just in case anybody else hasn't sussed it yet, Blue Ray is a person who has a good knowledge of forthcoming PR seminars and conferences who appeared here a couple of weeks ago and has relentlessly plugged a forthcoming TV show about BA by either direct link or by indirect link to the Daily Mail on just about any BA thread going. Draw your own conclusions.

(He also seems to think he knows the passenger breakdown, load factor and breakeven cost of BA flights based on total passenger numbers alone!)

Golden Ticket
12th Oct 2008, 20:22
Blueray, your the last person in the world who should refer to someone else as fixated. The problem is that after a while this constant focus will be to the detriment of yourself as eventually anything sensible will be lost in the mire of your BA bashing drivel.

Fargoo
12th Oct 2008, 20:22
Carnage Matey - you're wasting your breath.
BlueRay is whats known on most forums as a Troll, they post specifically to elicit a reaction. Once they have that fish on a hook they'll continue to post along the same lines merely to get into a conversation with the now hooked fish. Ignorance is bliss in these cases, just put the poster on your ignore list - problem solved.

Blueray :=

BlueRay
12th Oct 2008, 20:34
Fargoo, where have you been? Looks like British Airways public relations dept is dusting off all their vaious guises. Hold a few back boys, your going to need them tomorrow. But please, don't suggest that because a PPruner speaks badly of your employer that they are a troll. British Airways is undoubtedly in serious trouble, I'd like to see their plans for turning it around. Will probably be using their openskies airline to significantly reduce flight crew remumeration, chop your pensions (again) and possibly outsource a few more depts (engineering). No troll, just someone watching amazed as British Airways, a once great airline, fails in such spectacular fashion. Simply breathtaking!

Megaton
12th Oct 2008, 20:56
Oh look BlooRay on another BA bashing thread. Good grief!

millerman
12th Oct 2008, 21:52
Yet another thread that has gone completely off topic:(
I am just glad that everything turned out ok after the crew declared a mayday with fire in the cabin, and that it wasn't as serious as first thought.
It is better to be safe than sorry:ok:

BlueRay
12th Oct 2008, 22:28
Hamfusted - but there are sooo many BA bashing threads to choose. Understand the aircraft repositioned back to London, before heading backto Delhi? Whats that about?

Surely not very environmental, maybe some passengers wanted to get off! Maybe to try a more reliable airline like Air India or Kingfisher.

Rainboe
12th Oct 2008, 22:52
Blueray has earned himself an ignore (as a complete prat)! It really shortens the threads!

BlueRay
12th Oct 2008, 23:35
Oh but Rainboo you would love if anyone cared what you think, The truth is I'm not on your ignore list because your paid to respond to people that dare post something negative about BA>

Please stay on thread, this is about an BA 777 diverting due to a fire onboard caused by a smoking IFE unit. Identical to the smoking IFE unit that caused an emergency landing last week into Chicago. I believe that was also a 777 (BA flight forced to make emergency landing due to burning smell - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/3143483/BA-flight-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-due-to-burning-smell.html))

Now whilst I'm sure you BA boys would love to bury this thread there ain't nothing you can do to stop the press picking up on the very strong co-incident that two emergency landings in 1 week for the same cabin fire problem.

Houston I think we have a problem.

Rainboe
13th Oct 2008, 08:13
Blueray- a one-stringed bow. Boring sound! Byebye!

David Bouvier
13th Oct 2008, 08:48
I happened to be on the plane...here's what I saw.

An hour or so into the flight, cabin staff start getting very focused on something and we started descending (faster than usual). I was not in coach so didn't see the seat directly. Very quick readying of plane to land. Cabin electrics all switched off, so the electric seats couldn't be restored to upright.

Told we are diverting to Hamburg initially, but then German authorities decide Berlin Schoenefeld [think London Luton] instead because "it could better handle a plane of this size". Land to lots of fire engines in corner of airport but normal landing, unhurried exit to buses.

4 hours in the airport; no-777 type certified engineers at Schoenefeld - so in the end just tidy up, isolate all cabin electrics and fly back to Heathrow. Crew I believe out of time to continue to Delhi anyway.

Land at heathrow, keep passengers on plane while 777 engineers isolate the specific seat [33B apparently] so that they can fly back with the systems on (since it is now a night flight they reckon they need the recliners back.). Replace crew and cabin staff, recater etc.

Didn't see the fault/smoke etc myself but the staff talking to engineers in London discussed how many fire extinguishers they had used and needed to replace and they certainly discussed it among themselves as a smoking seat back / fire on board - not just a warning light.

greatorex
13th Oct 2008, 08:54
BlueRay Sir,

If you are a member of, or do have links to the press would you kindly educate them and indeed yourself as to the difference between an 'Emergency Landing’ and a ‘Precautionary Landing’; the two really are quite distinctly different creatures.

Cheers

M.Mouse
13th Oct 2008, 10:08
Little moreon tomorrows despatchs programme in the early paper releases.

Bluray, is that the Dispatches programme by alleged journalist Andrew Gilligan, you know, the one who started the 'sexed up dossier' mess which ultimately led to the suicide of Dr. Kelly?

Do you know him because your style and accuracy is very similar?

Whinging Tinny
13th Oct 2008, 10:42
Quoted from BlueRay

"Please stay on thread, this is about an BA 777 diverting due to a fire onboard caused by a smoking IFE unit. Identical to the smoking IFE unit that caused an emergency landing last week into Chicago. I believe that was also a 777 (BA flight forced to make emergency landing due to burning smell - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/3143483/BA-flight-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-due-to-burning-smell.html))"

Could you please point out in any of the reports you mention where it says a fire actually broke out.
I've read them and can not see no mention of fire.

The first real mention of what occured is post #30 which was after you posted your paragraph.
So, are you trying to embellish the press reports?

Also how do you know the IFE unit was identical in both instances?
There is more than one type of screen in the cabin.

I very much like the BBC quote:

"The Boeing 777 was travelling from London's Heathrow to Delhi when the pilot was alerted to the problem by a cockpit alarm."

Put simply, there is no such thing.

To All,

If you ever get a chance ask Engineering to show you the system up and running and feel the heat given of by the various components.
Then look at the amount of rubbish surrounding the seat boxes especially in the premium classes.
Also, how filthy the units are when they are removed.They are like mini hoovers.
I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems.

And finally to keep BlueRay happy and for the sake of objective reporting, I do not work for British Airways.

BlueRay
13th Oct 2008, 15:21
Nice report MR Bouvier, great actual passengers sought out this thread. An how ridiculous to suggest I posted this persons contribution. The British Airways PR dept really is getting paranoid!

So it looks like a fire did breakout on board,

Then look at the amount of rubbish surrounding the seat boxes especially in the premium classes.Also, how filthy the units are when they are removed.They are like mini hoovers. I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems

Lucky your not responsible for any maintenance of aircraft! If these components are covered in debris and they get hot an obvious and very serious problem. My post about the extension of maintenance intervals and cleaning on BA 777 would show there really is a significant problem.

Debris and ignition -think KINGS CROSS !!!!!!!

Mr Bouvier you were very lucky.

Whinging Tinny
13th Oct 2008, 17:13
"An how ridiculous to suggest I posted this persons contribution."

Where has anyone suggested you posted to this person's contribution?

"Lucky your not responsible for any maintenance of aircraft! If these components are covered in debris and they get hot an obvious and very serious problem. My post about the extension of maintenance intervals and cleaning on BA 777 would show there really is a significant problem."

How can you state anything about my post and the responsibilty of maintenance?
Like I know nothing about you, you know the sum total of zero of what I do in the aerospace industry which I actually work in.
Do you?
So how you can cast aspersions I do not know.

I suggest you learn basic electrics and then you will see heat is generated as a by product.

Just like your computer you are using generates heat and has cooling fans, so do a lot of IFE LRUs depending on their location in an aeroplane.
Try opening up your computer case and see how much dust has accumulated inside.

I guarantee you 100% that any airline in the world you care to mention will have rubbish and other detrius in very inaccessible places in the cabin which is not removed by the cleaning companies.
Also most airlines I know have programs to address this problem.
And all their IFE systems get extremly hot.

If you are so concerned about BA 777's in particular my suggestion is don't fly on them.
And the next time you are sitting in an airline seat, think what could be the far reaching consequences of you sticking your little toffee wrappers and plastic cutlery down the sides.
In fact for you it would probably be better if you didn't fly considering what I said in the above paragraph.

What I read so far of your posts, you come across as having very little idea of aeroplane systems and how they work, little clue of airline procedures and not a lot of concept about A/C maintenance programs.

If you want to post forth your experience of the airline industry, I'll happily reciprocate it.
You can private email me if you like and I will post it verbatum and also put my experience up, so everyone can see.

I somehow don't think you will though, will you?

BlueRay
13th Oct 2008, 18:00
BA publc relations dept person, Iam very familiar with aircraft maintenance programmes also your responsiability to report matters you think could cause an event to the CAA.

SO whinger, have you reported the fact that your suprised there are not more events? No, I guessed not. But it's ok, i've cutand paste these few threads and sent them onto the CAA.

Sure their surveyor will be interested to know BA has a debris problem with their hot IFE systems, and that on 3 occassions in the last week this has resulted in fire/smoke etc.

Though I expect they've already started an investigation into the matter it'll just help them in the right direction.

As for my experience, it'd take up too much space.

Whinging Tinny
13th Oct 2008, 18:29
Correct me if I'm wrong Bluetray, but I do believe in my very first post I stated I do not work for British Airways.
So I'm hardly likely to be a spoken person for them, am I?

Feel free to cut and paste what you like to your CAA, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
How about sending it to HKCAD also?
I'm sure they will they will appreciate all your help in solving the cases of hot boxes and detrius on aeroplanes in the modern era.

With all your 'aviation' experience, don't you think you could condense it into a little paragraph or three which won't take up to much space on the Pprune website. So that us mere mortals can admire your contribution to aviation throughout the world.

Remember what I told you about your toffee wrappers and other sweeties now:=

simmy
13th Oct 2008, 19:36
I'm very interested in problems caused by smoke on the aircraft. It is a fairly difficult problem to deal with as the source may be disguised by the distribution of the smoke through the air conditioning system, for instance.
On one simulator session with an RAF crew on the 146 (formerly the Queen's Flight) I gave them "SMOKE IN THE COCKPIT". The most excellent young captain had the aircraft on the ground before the co pilot ( a 41 year old) had finished the rather long and not too user friendly check list. At the debrief the 41year old suggested that perhaps they could have held for a time so that he could complete the procedure. Not wanting to offend a 41 year old I just disagreed with him!
The next day the crew reported for day 2 of their training. The co-pilot told me that he had changed his mind about his previous decision. He had seen in that day's newspaper the report of the MD11 at Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I have been a pilot now since 1960, flying a variety of aircraft types from Vampires to Vulcans, B737,757,767,A320 and now instructing in flight simulators to a quite wide range of pilots from many different countries. During this rather long career I have been a passenger on many airlines but my favourite has to be BA, not least because my own experiences on board have all been outstanding and where I have met and talked to their flight deck crews, they demonstrate the best qualities which I hope to find ( and often do) in the young - and not so young - pilots who I have trained during my time as a flight instructor. My regret is that I was just not good enough to be chosen. I am still at it ( sim instructing that is ) and whenever the conversation turns to desirable jobs, most of my candidates have a preference for BA. I know why.

BlueRay
14th Oct 2008, 19:37
Why's that SIMMY? Oh next time they say they want to work for BA, tell them that BA is on the wind down, looking to reduce the pay and conditions for their staff in order to stay in business. Working for other more progessive airlines would probably be a better career move.Hope it hasn't passed PRUNER's by that Rainbo suggests on the 12th I'm added to their ignore list, 2 days later he's still responding. As I said paid by BA to respond to anyone stating something not favourable to BA.

L337
14th Oct 2008, 19:48
Blueray is BAengineering. and or yet another of his names.

Same style, same rubbish.