PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft ID help needed

twinjetter
12th Oct 2008, 14:21
Can anyone ID an aircraft that is currently orbiting the Waterbeach area 5KM north of Cambridge? (currently = 1500Local/12 Oct)

Right, here we go - Long lazy orbits (2 x so far) at estimate FL300+ making vapour from either fuselage or wing-root mounted engines x2, no noise whatsoever, pure white.

Has a wing profile (with my ancient telescope, and subject to being utterly innaccurate) akin to Dakota (but definitely not!)/Canberra/TR1.

BUT, under one wing, and one wing only is a large white object of some kind.

For the record, I am only on glass number two of a nice Sauvignon; so that can be ruled out:)

Any help appreciated, if only to satisfy my curios....Oh, why are those guys in that Black Omega putting on balaclavas?

Seriously though, please put my mind at rest

cheers

TWJ

vespasia
12th Oct 2008, 14:39
Sounds like the NASA WB57R (heavily modified Canberra) which is at Mildenhall currently!

You lucky b*gger!

Hope this helps:ok:

twinjetter
12th Oct 2008, 14:54
Vespasia

Having googled it, I think you're spot on!

Still not sure about why I could only see one nacelle though? looking at the google images, I see that one of the engines is matt-black? (guessing at a need for low-reflection for some kind of side-looking sensor/camera). So with the only alternative being catastrophic engine separation, I'm going for my theory!

I was half a keystroke away from going with B57 instead of "Canberra", as the wing profile certainly didn't match the known and loved uk Canberra profile, but I thought I'd broaden the possibilities of my question.

Also, looking at the photo's, my Dakota reference wasn't a million miles off either - I'm undoing all my good work now aren't I?!!

I think 18 minutes from random question to answer found is pretty impressive - long live PPRuNe.

Thanks V much Vespasia for the info

TWJ

vespasia
12th Oct 2008, 16:20
No worries - good description (the DC3 wing shape was spot on!), and I'd just been looking at a picture of it on the UKAR forum!

twinjetter
12th Oct 2008, 17:18
Historical linked image below (not mine) - certainly beats the F15's and various C135's usually found up above Greater Cambridge.

http://www.skywise711.com/misc/WB57/WB57-pass2b-enhanced.jpg

Definitely what was up and around CBG today; AND to the distant uninitiated, the image shows an apparent assymetric config. But now I know better!

Well played vespasia

TWJ

PS - Do I get banned for the linked image??????

Sam-MAN
12th Oct 2008, 20:32
Yep it's "NASA926" type WB57. Based at Mildenhall this month I believe.

Sam

ground_star
13th Oct 2008, 07:01
Also seen yesterday afternoon, about 1520 over Badwell Ash (nr Bury St Edmunds) in Suffolk :)